Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
OG
4,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's right guy 'n' gals, I need to buy me laptop hardware.

I don't know a whole bunch about laptops, but I do need me a CPU, GPU, appropriate heatsink for the CPU, motherboard and ram.

CPU: Preferably an i7 mobile, but an i5 mobile would work too.
GPU: Preferably a GT300m or 58xxm or something of those likes.
Motherboard: very small form factor, capability of 4GB ram. Appropriate compatibility for the CPU
RAM: 4GB (DDR3 I'm guessing) @ 1333MHz (if they make such a thing for laptops)
PSU: whatever is appropriate for what you suggest hardware wise.

Budget: preferably under $1000USD (Can be extended to $1500USD if needed)

I've Google'd to no avail searching for these

·
Chainsaw noise far off
6,010 Posts
Laptop motherboards are proprietary.Made to fit your particular laptop.
It pretty much can't be updated unless you get pretty lucky.Since you cant update your motherboard you cant update anything else.Most likely the only motherboard that will fit in your laptop is the one made for it.I suppose its possible to upgrade but like I said you would be pretty lucky.

·
OG
4,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just the hardware.
All the motherboard needs is to be small. The standoff hole placement doesn't matter. I'll be making my own holes anyways (refer to sig "Laptop in a gun case" for details)

·
Registered
406 Posts
You don't build laptops the same way as desktops. That's why you didn't have much luck on google.

It sounds like you are looking for a gaming laptop, which are usually heavy and have very low battery life. You would basically have to have it plugged in the whole time.

Search the sites like newegg and tigerdirect for laptops that have an i7m and a dedicated gpu and see if there is anything that catches your eye.

Edit: I saw that you want to put the hardware in the gun case. Have you checked out mini ITX?

·
OG
4,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No trust me, I need the hardware. No prebuilt here.
I know they're different. I'm making my own case, and I care not for battery life.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Unless you know someone who can get access to spares (usually a manufacturer approved service person) or are willing to buy a laptop and pull it apart you are going to be **** out of luck.

+1 for the suggestion of having a look at mini ITX.

Or perhaps you should post the dimensions of the gun case so people might be able to offer you help based off the space you are trying to fit it in?

·
OG
4,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In the thread I have HERE It's made to specs, a Micro ITX would fit in it, along with a 4870x2, barely.

Unless I can get a motherboard with a GPU on it, I'm severely limited to a Micro ITX

·
Registered
406 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by caraboose View Post
In the thread I have HERE It's made to specs, a Micro ITX would fit in it, along with a 4870x2, barely.
Then I think you would be better off going with what you had originally planned.

But it never hurts to check around to see if you can get a better bang-for-your-buck maybe someone on here knows a supplier and can hook you up

1 - 9 of 9 Posts