Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,

i'm currently setting up a 3 or 4 drive raid 5 home server using the perc 5/i controller, i'm looking at using either wd15ears, seagate 7200.11 1.5 or Samsung 1.5TB Silencer. i'm not to sure which drive to use, can some please recommend which one to use?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I think any of them would work just fine. However there are a lot of folks using the Greens so they have a proven track record. I'd say go whichever one you can get the best deal on.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by lsudvm
View Post

I think any of them would work just fine. However there are a lot of folks using the Greens so they have a proven track record. I'd say go whichever one you can get the best deal on.

does anyone use the wd15ears (4kb sector) in their raid setup? do they have any trouble compare with the 512byte sector drives?

·
Premium Member
4,484 Posts
Just a heads up that you *might* run into an issue with the PERC 5/i and working with such large disks. Past experience with a PERC 5/i in a Dell PowerEdge 2900-III server indicated that the card was unable to create virtual disks greater than 2TB in size.

For example, if you have 3x 1.5TB drives in RAID-5, you cannot create a single virtual-disk that is 3TB in size. The array will not create / initialize. You can, however, create multiple virtual disks that are smaller than 2TB in size. So with 3x1.5TB, you can create VD-1 of size 1TB, and VD-2 of size 2TB, or any other combination in between.

Bear in mind that this limitation is separate from the 2TB limit associated with MBR disks in Windows.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts