Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
MegaTechPC
19,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so i am getting sick of the screen-tearing on my Sammy Syncmaster and am looking for a 120Hz monitor to replace it with. I'd like to go up in resolution if possible as well. Do any of you display experts have any suggestions for a good 120Hz screen at a higher resolution than 1080p? Thanks!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Majin SSJ Eric
View Post

Ok, so i am getting sick of the screen-tearing on my Sammy Syncmaster and am looking for a 120Hz monitor to replace it with. I'd like to go up in resolution if possible as well. Do any of you display experts have any suggestions for a good 120Hz screen at a higher resolution than 1080p? Thanks!

There are none. No interfaces support resolutions above 1200p @ 120Hz. That said, there are no 1200p 120Hz panels. Only 1080p.

What is your budget?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Samsung do some nice ones at 23'' and 27''. But you can't go higher than 1080p at the moment. You have a choice of either going with higher resolution at 60Hz and keeping vsync on to stop tearing or going with 120Hz and sticking with 1080p.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Asus' VG278H is also coming out in a few days, but without knowing the OP's budget, it,s hard to recommend anything at all.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
why not 2 of 24 monitors? 1 for gaming other one for web browsing.. msn, skype google whatever! much better then single monitor!

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have a samsung SA23950 and I am utterly amazed by the quality of this monitor. The build is fantastic with a great design and the color accuracy is by far the best on the market right now. This monitor will perfectly calibrate and show you really deep blacks and whiter whites. The 100% color accuracy really is 100%. The 3D works great to with tri def being supported by many games. The only thing is if you use tri def with an nvidia card you are forced to play in Side by Side 3D mode. If you had an ATI card you could run full frame sequential mode. But there is a emulator that allows you to use Nvidia 3Dvision and works as if you had an emitter plugged in. Works great and I use it with every game. Metro 2033 is mind blowing.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by insyxion
View Post

why not 2 of 24 monitors? 1 for gaming other one for web browsing.. msn, skype google whatever! much better then single monitor!

Maybe for some people, but 120Hz panels kicks the crap out of everything for gaming. Try one and you will see

·
Banned
8,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin SSJ Eric;15354084
Ok, so i am getting sick of the screen-tearing on my Sammy Syncmaster
You'll only see an improvement in that dept. if you manage 100+ fps. For lower numbers of fps, a 120hz won't do any miracles. I once read here somewhere someone say 120hz helps with tearing. I don't know what they were smoking.

I suppose your sli setup will get you up there, but don't be surprised to see tear all over the place if you can't get past 60 fps (whereas a 60hz would have almost none).

·
Registered
434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheSun!;15357001
You'll only see an improvement in that dept. if you manage 100+ fps. For lower numbers of fps, a 120hz won't do any miracles. I once read here somewhere someone say 120hz helps with tearing. I don't know what they were smoking.

I suppose your sli setup will get you up there, but don't be surprised to see tear all over the place if you can't get past 60 fps (whereas a 60hz would have almost none).
With dual 580s @ 1080p, it's really hard to go below 60FPS in any game at all

·
Banned
8,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xFyre;15357524
With dual 580s @ 1080p, it's really hard to go below 60FPS in any game at all
If you read my post again, you'll find i never mentioned below 60, but simply not past 60. Crysis and metro 2033, for example, are 2 titles he won't get to run @120 fps with everything maxed, and that was why i mentioned a 120hz monitor will still show tear @60 fps, making imperative the use of vsync etc. And i did so because he mentioned tearing in the OP, hinting that he thought 120hz was going to fix that. That's all.

·
Banned
8,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by $ilent;15359735
LG W2363D 120hz monitor is stunning value.
It really is. I tried with all my might to find one before i had to settle for the xl2410t.

·
Premium Member
8,476 Posts
Samsungs new line of ultra-clear 120Hz panels are the ones to beat. They are very impressive and I have owned/tried a lot of monitors in my time.

·
MegaTechPC
19,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ToTheSun!
View Post

If you read my post again, you'll find i never mentioned below 60, but simply not past 60. Crysis and metro 2033, for example, are 2 titles he won't get to run @120 fps with everything maxed, and that was why i mentioned a 120hz monitor will still show tear @60 fps, making imperative the use of vsync etc. And i did so because he mentioned tearing in the OP, hinting that he thought 120hz was going to fix that. That's all.

I'm confused. I generally get 90-100fps in Crysis and Metro which causes screen-tearing with my 60Hz monitor. Why would I get screen-tearing on a 120Hz monitor if I am seeing only 100fps max?

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Majin SSJ Eric
View Post

I'm confused. I generally get 90-100fps in Crysis and Metro which causes screen-tearing with my 60Hz monitor. Why would I get screen-tearing on a 120Hz monitor if I am seeing only 100fps max?

You're right, a 120hz screen will remove screen tearing so long as you stay below 120fps.

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ToTheSun!
View Post

Screen tearing isn't some magical thing that happens when your fps is in-between 60 and 100. It happens because your FPS has exceeded the refresh rate of your monitor so the game has to start dropping frames. 61 fps and 1000 fps can have the same amount of screen tearing on a 60hz display, there's no magical number here. Anything over 60 will cause tearing. With a 120hz monitor that threshold is pushed-back to 120fps -- so you have an additional 60fps buffer zone to play with. Anything over 120fps will cause screen tearing with a 120hz display just like with anything over 60fps will on a 60hz display.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts