Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been trying to get my 4890 overclocked, and I'm having problems with the voltage, but despite that, I seem to have found two different variations of clocks that seem to be stable with no errors and I'm looking to see which you guys think would be better to use?

I currently have 971/1111 which runs well.

Or I have 980/1090 which works good too.

I really don't know if having a slightly higher Core would be better, or if having a slightly higher Memory but lower Core would be better.

In the past I've stuck with having a higher Core.

Also, if a higher Core is generally better, if I can get the Core to 1000 and lower the Memory drastically enough to keep it running without error, would that be a better bet?

Thanks.

Currently I have it set at the 980/1090 and will continue messing with it and see what you guys think.

·
Banned
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, it seems to get the Core to 1000, the Memory needs to be pretty low. I think I tried it at 1000/950 and it gave yellow dots in ATI Tool.

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
Ya on my card memory is a pain to OC high as well. Go for the higher core OC. Or just Bench them to see what does better.

·
Banned
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So would having the core at 1000 or higher and the memory fairly low, like less than 950 be a problem or would the core being higher still be a benefit?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by halifax1
View Post

So would having the core at 1000 or higher and the memory fairly low, like less than 950 be a problem or would the core being higher still be a benefit?

Well, if it was me, I'd just take the core as high as I could & just leave the mem alone until I'm settled on a stable speed. I'm not really sure how low is too low for the mem though. Just try it & find out.

Epic Avvy btw. Was sorry to hear about the artists recent passing.

·
god loves ugly
4,244 Posts
I'd stick with the higher core. The GDDR5 already has a considerable amount of bandwidth with it at stock.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
It sounds like theres something wrong with your card if each one has to scale down in order to be stable. Have you had any system instability as of late(that power supply looks suspect)? If you raise the memory and find the max speed there shouldn't be any problems keeping it at the max. With that said, it really depends on what you're playing/ doing since different apps respond differently to core/ mem overclocking.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts