Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For my next build I want a new reliable and silent PSU.

Obviously there are a couple of excellent power supplies out like
EVGA SuperNova 550w g3
Corsair 550W RMx
Seasonic Focus Plus 550W

But as far as I'm concerned all of them have capacitors in some of the cables which could make sleeving harder (atleast I think it will). Or does the EVGA has none? It is a bit confusing since there are different tiers for each powersupply and not every tier gets reviewed. Some clarification would be appreciated.

So which PSU should I buy?
In Short my requirements are: Quality, Hybrid Fan mode for very silent operation and easy sleeveability.
Price is not really an issue.

Thank you in advance

·
Senior OCN Member
40,453 Posts
The G3 is not silent at all when used in hybrid fan mode so if quiet is a must the G3 is not it
The Seasonic Foucs Plus Gold is the best one on the list but the RMx might be a little bit more quiet

If it is its not by much
All of them have caps on the cables so they are all going to be the same in that area

·
Senior OCN Member
40,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandora51 View Post

Thank you for the fast response.
Is there any other power supply without caps in the cables with similar quality and not overkill wattage?

If not is the Seasonic Focus Plus Gold also the most silent one?
You can step up to the Seasonic Prime series as they are better slightly more quiet and as far as i am aware does not have caps on the cables
I know the 650 watt Prime Titanium does not have any caps or at least the jonnyguru review says it has none

The Prime Platinum on the other hand seems to have them on at least some of the cables

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=514
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=493

• Rep+
Reactions: Pandora51

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh you are right!

I thought there was something about the Seasonic Prime Titanium when I looked it up but I might have confused it with the platinium?
It only has those weird pci-e cables which shouldn't be an issue after sleeving. The price for it in germany is high but atleast it seems like the best power supply to get. So will do it. Thank you.
biggrin.gif

·
Senior OCN Member
40,453 Posts
The Prime series comes in both gold platinium and titanium rated versions

·
Registered
19 Posts
i think the Focus + 550w is the best out of the 3, but if u want quiet, step up the wattage to 750w, and you probably wouldn;t push it over 40% load so the fan will stay off the whole time

1 - 8 of 8 Posts