Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i plan on getting hl2 this friday but before hand a nice new gfx card would be nice, i reckon around £150 is my buget for one ($300)
I started looking around at graphics cards and i have no idea what im after anymore lol, ive been out of the market for a while now.
Obviously i want one that overclocks well, any ideas anyone?

also links for good prices would be good to hehe

I reckon ill be after one of the 6800 geforces.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThE_GeNeRaL
since your budget is 300 you muight have to go for a 6800le hers a link to two

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...roperty&DEPA=1

or you could go with a 9800pro i know blob is selling his for 150 it can easyly hndle hl2 and with the extra go for a sp-97 and some as5 and a vantec tornado to cool that overheating cpu of yours
Nice thanks, ive already ordered a SI-97 which should arrive tomorow
but what are these tornado things people are talking about and how much are they?

seems blob allready has a buyer for his card :\\ ah well. thanks anyway
also newegg dont ship to the uk ive tried before hehe.
I have a 5600fx which should be able to handle hl2 i would of thought alltho its a year old so i dunno. its just im building another system to sell and i need a gfx so im gonna put my current one in the second system. good chance to upgrade i think.

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
fans made by vantec... even though i think they are really made by SUNON...
i have the sunon and the vantec tornado in 80mm and both are same wattage same cfm and same exact design and dimensions.....

but anyways they move 84.1 cfm of air in 80mm
thats about the same as some 120mm fans...
only prob is noise... so loud i hear them through my headphones full cup headphones (DJ set)

they sell both at frys electronics....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by spookedjunglist
well good luck with your shtuff
cheers
and yea i dont want a computer system that competes with my sound system..
I currently have my psu fans and a 2 way air induction thing and of course my cpu fan and i dont think i have anymore slots for fan power. :\\
how do you guys get so many fans inside? hehe

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThE_GeNeRaL
heres some 6800gt's are they in your price range

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatal...e_6800_GT.html
umm... not quite hehe about half those prices for most of them
but thanks anyway ^^
perhaps im being to optimistic about what i can get for so little.
alltho i may just get one while i play hl2 then sell it again lol
depends on whether i can get a good enough deal to sell it for the same on ebay. so i guess if the deals good enough then i dont really have a limit.

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
i have a 120mm in the space of 3 5.25 bays blowing in
2 80mm sunons on my heatsink tower112
1 tornado mounted on my side panel outside
had to put it there for clearance of the TTT112
some simple 80mm on blowing in between my hard drives

still need something for my 6800

my PSU is antec true controll 550

if you need more power and have an old PSU laying around
try this mod to use it to power other things....just dont mount it inside your case like i did temps were over 100 insode the case

i would like to revise it to make it a STICKY
http://www.overclock.net/showthread.php?t=5491

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have the Gainward 2400GS. It is an nvidia 6800GT that is designed to be oced. It rocks and was not that pricey. I paid just over $400 cdn for mine. The PC mags and web sites have rated this card well as it can be overclocked and retains the warranty plus it hits almost the same speeds as the Ultras for less $$$$..

I am can get over 5000 in 3dmark05. That is with all my background crap running on the cpu as well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

am i correct??
lol alot of americans or non uk people seem to make this mistake but no
the euro is about 1.3/1 or something like that. the pound (britains to stubborn to use the euro) is around 1.8-1.9/1.
but as im also looking at $ yes the price is nearly halfed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by rquilley
I have the Gainward 2400GS. It is an nvidia 6800GT that is designed to be oced. It rocks and was not that pricey. I paid just over $400 cdn for mine. The PC mags and web sites have rated this card well as it can be overclocked and retains the warranty plus it hits almost the same speeds as the Ultras for less $$$$..

I am can get over 5000 in 3dmark05. That is with all my background crap running on the cpu as well.
whoa that sounds like a gooood deal, where did you get it and do they ship internationally?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Quote:

i have a 120mm in the space of 3 5.25 bays blowing in
2 80mm sunons on my heatsink tower112
1 tornado mounted on my side panel outside
had to put it there for clearance of the TTT112
some simple 80mm on blowing in between my hard drives

still need something for my 6800

my PSU is antec true controll 550

Similar to me. I am running 2 80mm blowing thru front onto my hd thermal controled. 80mm on top and in side window both are thermal controled. One 90mm silent on my Thermaltake tower 112. 1 80mm on the PSU as an exhuast..... Also need something new for the 6800... quite loud right now and not very efficient.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nujtik
whoa that sounds like a gooood deal, where did you get it and do they ship internationally?
I bought it locally here in Richmond, BC Canada..... You can try the company at www.computraksystem.com

I buy all my stuff there so I may have gotten a bit of a deal from them... I think the retail is under $500 cnd though... It is a great card and is running very well for me...

opps edited web site I accidentally added an s at the end.... try again it is right now..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts