Overclock.net banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on building a new gaming rig, but I'm not quite sure what CPU to buy. I want an AMD 939 and I have about $300 dollars to spend on the CPU itself. I may spend a little more for the CPU, but nothing over $400. This rig will be completely for gaming so what would you guys recommend. I am 100% sure I am going to overclock the hell out of what I'm getting.

So to summarize my requestI need a 939, gaming, good overclocking, $300 CPU.

Thanks guys.

·
Banned
151 Posts
I'd go with an Athlon 64 X2 3800+. The dual cores will really help you a few months down the road when games start utilizing both cores. Also, it's a decent overclocker and right in your budget range. Either that or spend a little more and go for an Opty. They don't have the same stock speeds, but they run on lower vcores, have bigger caches, and are more overclockable.

·
Premium Member
5,145 Posts
Go for the x2 3800+. You can OC that to equal a 4600+ no problem.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hrm, if i were to go with the X2 3800+ what motherboard would you guys recommend?

EDIT: I dont plan on doing any sli, just a good mobo with 1 x16 PCI-E.

·
Premium Member
5,145 Posts
Any DFI NF4 or Ati chipset should work for you...preferably the lanparty's

• Rep+
Reactions: iNiMiTabLE

·
Banned
218 Posts
No way I would recommend Asus, Maximum PC even shows stats that the A8n32 is faster then the latest DFI board. not to mention the copper heatsinks lower the noise.

·
Banned
151 Posts
The Asus board won't overclock as well as the DFI. DFIs have been shown many times to be some of the best OCers on the market.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I'll go with a DFI because like some of you mentioned, the OCing capabilities it has. I have heard of the chipset fan on the DFI being loud, but on my current rig I have 11 fans running 24/7 so noise is no problem for me.

So I've decided to go with the X2 3800+ with a DFI Lanparty. I'll make another thread later on when I decide on other parts and put it up for review before I make my final decision.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
9 Posts
for me I would go with a.
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 1GHz FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939
Model #: ADA3200BPBOX
Item #: N82E16819103535
This would be the best way to go .
This cpu is only $169.00, but you might be able to find this cpu probly $150.

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
My humble cpu suggestions:

Single core? 4000 San Digeo (330 shipped)

Dual core? X2 4200 Manchester (360 shipped)

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xavier1421

My humble cpu suggestions:

Single core? 4000 San Digeo (330 shipped)

Dual core? X2 4200 Manchester (360 shipped)

Why did you choose the 4000 over the 3700? Just curious

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
Good question, not terribly sure. I guess the additional multiplier isn't worth the extra 105 bucks.

Good catch soccer! (I would have gotten the 4000 anyways, I love me the 12 multi on the AMD's....good cooling and decent PC4000 ram and wham, you're at 3GHz)

·
Banned
3,169 Posts
But what is wrong with an overclocked 3000+ for gaming, the cpu at the end of the day doesnt make a hell of a lot of difference in gaming, you get ya grunt from the gpu. Ya better off just spending more money on something else than a new cpu. (In my opinion of course) But if you are keen then have a look at a x2 4400 or even some of the optys. Buying these higher priced cpus like the 4400 will not give you a massive overclock compared to your 3000+. You will be paying for the cache and is it really worth it at the moment..........think about it.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
I go the Opty 164 ... tons of cache and only slightly over your budget

1 - 15 of 15 Posts