Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i am hopefully getting a new rig soon and im looking at these cpus

X2 4200+ 2.2GHz 512MB L2 $364 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103547

x2 3800+ 2.0GHz 512mb L2 $301 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103562

4000+ 2.4Ghz San Diego 1mb L2 $334 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103529

3800+ 2.4GHz Venice 512mb L2 $282 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103531

I will maybe just overclock its just .2 max not a big overclocker

Is dual core a really big difference in gaming?
Do single core even out a dual core if its .2Ghz more?.....just a few n00b questiong because im not familiar with dual cores at all

Thanks
Orange

·
Registered
355 Posts
Right now, single cores still have the edge, but this year the game engines are going to start utilizing dual core procs. And when applications can effecitively utilize them, the perfmormance increase is dramatic, just check out a few dual core vs single core benchmarks and both basic and multithreaded programs. Dual core procs are much more future proof imo though.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
If you are a gamer, I would buy single core....dual cores aren't used yet in games, and when that happens, it makes sense THEN to get a dual. If you only want to overclock 200mhz, then I would consider at least overclocking to the limit of default voltage. No harm in that, free speed without touching any voltages..
Get the 3700 san diego and save some cash...you will probably get to 2.6-2.7 on default volts..

·
Premium Member
7,245 Posts
Totaly agree on x2 3800. Maybe today there aren't so many games that use the second core, but in a few months I bet things will change.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I disagree with the X2 3800 as the cache is not all that since the L2 is only 2x512 I would look into the Opteron 165 granted it is only a 1.8 ghz but has 2x1mb L2 cache for only $20 more at mwave.com and have read a lot of reviews on how well the Opterons O/C over the AMD64 X2s Plus the stock voltages on the opterons are 1.3-1.35v to where the x2 3800+ is 1.35-1.4v stock...which is not much but does give a hint more head room....as many have gotten to 2.0+ ghz on stock voltage with them so in return is a little faster than the x2 3800+ cause it has the higher cache...

·
Banned
151 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tytlyf

If you are a gamer, I would buy single core....dual cores aren't used yet in games, and when that happens, it makes sense THEN to get a dual. If you only want to overclock 200mhz, then I would consider at least overclocking to the limit of default voltage. No harm in that, free speed without touching any voltages..
Get the 3700 san diego and save some cash...you will probably get to 2.6-2.7 on default volts..

I got to 2.8 with default volts, and 3.1 with vcore of 1.6. The 3700 is a great processor.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Is it just me, or does it seem completely ignorant to expect someone to buy a seingle core now, and then in a couple months buy a dual core. I assumeif he had enough money to do that he would say to hell with it and buy an FX-60. Buy the dual core even if you are a gamer.....future proof (@ least for a couple years). It's completely rediculous to buy a single core now and a dual core later. Forget the 4200+, not worth benefit over 3800+.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by HardwaterH4ck3r

Is it just me, or does it seem completely ignorant to expect someone to buy a seingle core now, and then in a couple months buy a dual core. I assumeif he had enough money to do that he would say to hell with it and buy an FX-60. Buy the dual core even if you are a gamer.....future proof (@ least for a couple years). It's completely rediculous to buy a single core now and a dual core later. Forget the 4200+, not worth benefit over 3800+.

I agree with going single core now is a waste of money. Since even games are going to be using dual core tech sooner than later...That is why I suggested the opteron it too is a x2 just has more L2 for about $20 more. And very easy to O/C...

·
Premium Member
5,144 Posts
I say go for the x2 3800+ same core as the 4200+ just a lower multi. Single cores are on the way out.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by brad62249

I agree with going single core now is a waste of money. Since even games are going to be using dual core tech sooner than later...That is why I suggested the opteron it too is a x2 just has more L2 for about $20 more. And very easy to O/C...

The statement was directed to tytlyf.......sry man, but that isn't a smart/wise decision. Go with Opteron Dual core or cheap X2....i wouln't trade my proc for anything now that i hit 2.8......cept for maybe and FX-60.......lol.....

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by HardwaterH4ck3r

The statement was directed to tytlyf.......sry man, but that isn't a smart/wise decision. Go with Opteron Dual core or cheap X2....i wouln't trade my proc for anything now that i hit 2.8......cept for maybe and FX-60.......lol.....

It makes sense though if you'll be off of socket 939 by the time games actually need a dual core processor. Think about it, even if this summer most games support dual core and offer a lot of benefit, the single core will still play them VERY well for quite some time. They cannot make a game cpu dependent enough to DEMAND a dual core for at least a year or more or they're targeting too small of a market. Cpus are far different than graphics cards because you can't tone down the graphics to make a slower cpu play the game well like you can with a gpu. If they design the game to need dual core, everyone without one will either barely be able to play the game or be completely left behind. Buying a dual core for gaming is still premature in my opinion. I'll buy one when they're actually being fully utilized and it'll be a different socket and ram type by then, not to mention prices will be probably lower and performance will be much higher. Just another angle to analyze it, but to say it's stupid to buy single core for gaming is wrong.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The reason I say opteron 165 is = to the x2 3800 except for 1.8 ghz and 2 x 1mb Cache I have a friend who has this same opteron and has it O/C to 2.5 ghz @1.4V and is prime stable for over 36 hours with max temps at 37c loaded...He hasn't tried higher yet he is very content with 2.5 at that voltage. I myself am thinking of going either Opteron 175 or Opteron 180...

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zardokk

I got to 2.8 with default volts, and 3.1 with vcore of 1.6. The 3700 is a great processor.

once again, without stability, those are just numbers...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts