Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm looking at upgrading my video. i'm currently looking at one of two possibilities. both are around the $300 canadian range. so its not a matter of money.

the ones i'm looking at are
Geforce 7900 GTO 512 mb
Sapphire Radeon x1900xt 256 MB

any thoughts?

·
Banned
7,351 Posts
The 7900 GTO is a great card, can be clocked to GTX speeds easily. The 7950GT are also good cards with HDCP enabled. Or if you want to save a bit of money for a DX10 card later on, just get an X1900GT or the 256MB XT, they're nice cards as well.

·
Banned
7,351 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bdattilo View Post
If you can get the GTO, go for it. But good luck finding one, they have become scarce.
Lol yep. The GTOs were limited and now I think the stock is all gone.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by bdattilo View Post
If you can get the GTO, go for it. But good luck finding one, they have become scarce.
i can get one on a special order ... is there a big difference between compainies? .... like this one is msi would evga be better? or something like that

·
Banned
7,351 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Diablo_MGSx2 View Post
i can get one on a special order ... is there a big difference between compainies? .... like this one is msi would evga be better? or something like that
Not really, the card and GPU is the same, just some companies has it clocked higher then others with slightly different cooling.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ah ok ... i've just lost touch on vid cards lately. after i finished my system i left it alone for 6 mos ... now i need better video. and i just found out about the 7900 gto. but from ncix canada they can have one in a couple weeks .... apparantly ... if not i can get the x1900 xt by going for a 45 minute drive .... either way i'm good ... but we'll see.

·
Premium Member
9,525 Posts
The special order lies. There are no 7900GTOs in production. If they don't have them, they're gone.

Wait about 1 week, and see if the release of the 8800GTX causes any of NCIX's prices to fall.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Diablo_MGSx2
View Post

i agree with the previous post that its not really a difference in manufacturers and the cards, the only difference is in warranty and customer service

personally i lean towards paying an extra dollar or two towards BGF or eVGA since they both have lifetime warranties on their products (you might wanna double check if this extends to where you live though)

On my previous card when it had issues eVGA was easy to work with and replaced my card in a lil over a week. But that decision is up to you and personal preference

1 - 11 of 11 Posts