Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Enthoo pro TG case with all phanteks case inside, i am looking for white fans.
How do arctic f14 compare to PH140SP? Is it worse? It costs waay less

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Would you buy a car if the dealer wouldn't tell you how many wheels it had?

Generally, I won't buy something for which the manufacturer doesn't supply specifications.

·
Premium Member
27,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synoxia View Post

I have an Enthoo pro TG case with all phanteks case inside, i am looking for white fans.
How do arctic f14 compare to PH140SP? Is it worse? It costs waay less
I suspect you mean Enthoo Pro M TG? It doesn't have PH-F140SP fans. While other Enthoo Pro M cases say it has PH-F140SP fans when they actually have new MP like case fans, the Enthoo Pro M TG specs do not say what fan it has but images show it to be the new case fans. Phanteks changed case fans over a years ago but hasn't changed the case specifications to show this change. The new 140mm case fans look to be basically a PH-F140SP housing and motor with an MP impeller. On paper their specs do not look much good, but the specs are deceptive. They build much more pressure at lower than peak rpm than old SPs do and this translates into better airflow up to almost full speed.

Arctic F14 fans are not as good, but that being said not to bada fan at their price .. because it's much lower price.

Hardware.Fr tested a bunch of 140mm fans including PH-F140TS which is same fan as PH-F140SP but in a round housing for coolers (was original fan on PH-TC14PE cooler) and Arctic F14 & F14 PWM. Here are edited graphs showing voltage to CFM (airflow) and dB(A) to CFM. You can see the F14 PWM does not move as much air at same voltage and makes more noise at same CFM.

http://www.hardware.fr/articles/886-1/comparatif-ventilateurs-140mm.html

Only testing of fans like new cases fans I know of was done by CoolingTechnique on PH-F140HP_II which is a round frame fan same as PH-F140MP with a maximum speed of 1600rpm rather than 1300rpm of case fan. I now have a couple I am testing in my systems and find the work very well. I'm building a new test station so can't yet do actual airflow against resistance test results. Your 2x included MP like case fans mounted as front intakes with all openings not covered by fans sealed off should give you good case airflow.

Here is test data and graph of their performance compared to old PH-F140SP case fans. While they are louder at low rpm, the noise levels are well below the 30dB(A) of a very quiet room. I color coded similar fan speed to performance so it's easier to see the difference. Hopefully you can see how it's cfm, and pressure ratings hare better with similar noise levels. This all translates into better case airflow and less noise. Keep in mind these new case fans don't need a case back exhaust fan. 2x front intakes will give you plenty of airflow. A bottom intake may help if

Edit:
While I agree in part to what billbartuska said, fan specificatons are of little benefit even with ratings like static pressure and CFM. All these tell us is how much airflow the fan has is totally unrestricted enviorment .. even to the extent some of testing facilities do this testing in chambers (fan is mounted between chambers) with pressure on exhaust side of fan being being lowered so air pressure at intake and exhaust sides of fan are identical.

To understand how this skews test results we have to understand that for a fan to create airflow it has to lower the pressure on it's intake side so normal pressure air flows into that space and into fan while the exhaust side of fan is higher pressure than surrounding air causing air from fan to flow away from fan. There is no way a fan in a natural enviroment will have same pressure at intake as at exhaust.

Static pressure is the maximum pressure the fan is making when air stops flowing .. pressure fan created in a sealed container .. again an environment we never use a fan in.

These results are always with fan at full speed. Only testing of consumer fans that give data at lower than full speed is Noctua with their LNA and ULNA adapters.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts