Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Looking for some suggestions on which Cherry MX switches I should go with for my first mechanical keyboard. I am looking for some good, "all around" key switches that will do well in both gaming and typing. Right now I am leaning towards the brown switches as, from what I've read, they are basically in between the reds (gaming) and blues (typing).

What do you all think?

·
Goddess of Misfortune
3,246 Posts
Browns seem to be the "average" between switches. I remember clear switches being just like browns, but stiffer.

I think there is a way to purchase one of each type so you can get a feel of the physical functionality. Unfortunately, I don't know who sells them at the moment.

·
RGBKB.net
2,460 Posts
Browns have got to be the worst. They were my first 6 years ago and loved it. They have almost no tactility and the bump just feels like something is wrong with the stem rather than an actual real bump. Since then I've tried Blacks, Blues, Greens, Clears, and several Gateron switches. Browns are definitely the worst of them all. Zealios are my favorite, but they cost a pretty penny. Get a switch tester here. Personally, I'd recommend Cherry Clears,Gateron Greens, Zealios, and Gateron Blacks.

That being said, reds and blues are not "better for gaming or typing" respectively. It varies with how much you bottom out, how much sound you want, and what kind of tactile feedback you want. With blacks (heavier reds) I found myself accidentally hitting a button while gaming, like A or D while holding W. Clicky switches give you a lot of feedback, but it's really preference.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
20,837 Posts
I like my browns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraNova View Post

Browns seem to be the "average" between switches. I remember clear switches being just like browns, but stiffer.

I think there is a way to purchase one of each type so you can get a feel of the physical functionality. Unfortunately, I don't know who sells them at the moment.
Clicky

·
KEYBOARD KONNOISSEUR
1,572 Posts
It's 100% personal preference.

They say Reds/Linears are best for gaming, yet they are the absolute worst switch for me to use for typing and gaming so take anything you read about switches with a grain of salt.

If you have a few bucks to spare, I recommend you get a switch tester. There are a bunch on Amazon for under $20 and you can get a feel for all the different switches, they also serve as a great stress reliever after you decide which one you want to go with.

If not, My recommendation would lean towards Browns or Blues. If you don't like clicky, get Browns. MX Browns aren't my favorite switch because I find the tactility to be underwhelming. Gateron Browns are a lot smoother and have a crisper bump but they are harder to find in certain keyboards.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts