Votes: 12 37.5%
  • i7 950 $249

Votes: 20 62.5%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys. I'm buying my CPU today and am deciding between the i7 930 for $199 or i7 950 for $249 both before taxes. New microcenter near me! I'm trying to build quality for cheaper $ so I'm leaning towards the 930. But for only $50 I'd get the 950 if it was a big boost. What do ya think and why? Thanks

·
Blue and Green Team!
10,736 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lostintyme
View Post

Go for the 930. It'll be able to overclock past the 950 anyway.

You can't say that.

To be honest, from what I have seen... All i7 9xx series CPU's seem to be pretty similar in terms of overclocking potential.

The main factor here is that if you got the 950, you can use upto a 24x multi on it which allows for a great deal more flexibility when it comes to overclocking, especially with the RAM.

• Rep+
Reactions: The Viper

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lostintyme View Post
Go for the 930. It'll be able to overclock past the 950 anyway.
lol, where did u come up with that one? pulled that right out of, u know what.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rocker View Post
You can't say that.

To be honest, from what I have seen... All i7 9xx series CPU's seem to be pretty similar in terms of overclocking potential.

The main factor here is that if you got the 950, you can use upto a 24x multi on it which allows for a great deal more flexibility when it comes to overclocking, especially with the RAM.
100% agree with all of this, great points

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thsnks for all the input. Its interesting to read and to see the poll keep changing sides. Pretty close to 50/50 so the big question is . . . For $50 more is the 950 worth it? That much more superior or will i be plenty happy with the 930? I'm upgrading from an e8500.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
get the 950 cause its like 15 $ more , if it isnt then 930

·
Blue and Green Team!
10,736 Posts
ARE YOU BLIND?

THE 950 CAN USE A 24x MULTI!

THATS WHY IT WAS WAYYY MORE EXPENSIVE ONCE!!

BETTER OVERCLOCKING FLEXIBILITY

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baldy
View Post

No...that just means the 950 was a complete rip off in the past...that's it.

oh ok sure.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i read somewhere, wish i could remember, that the consistency of the 930 chips isn't nearly as good as the 950. some get 930s that dont perform like others. Seems 950 might run cooler and has a better overall overclock and sounds like a better chance for a great batch. Anyone else heard similar?

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
I have a 930 that was able to actually outclock a 950 at a lower voltage.
The 950 isn't necessarily a better chip. It has a higher multiplier, yes, but that really doesn't mean much. I've overclocked this better by using a x21 and x19 multiplier than by using x22. i7's love even multipliers, and x21 seems to be the most stable of them.

It's all the luck of the draw, and if Intel is actually binning these chips, then yes, the 950 might be better, but in reality, the 930 and 950 are the same.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Detroitsoldier
View Post

I have a 930 that was able to actually outclock a 950 at a lower voltage.
The 950 isn't necessarily a better chip. It has a higher multiplier, yes, but that really doesn't mean much. I've overclocked this better by using a x21 and x19 multiplier than by using x22. i7's love even multipliers, and x21 seems to be the most stable of them.

It's all the luck of the draw, and if Intel is actually binning these chips, then yes, the 950 might be better, but in reality, the 930 and 950 are the same.

proof?

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GPiddy
View Post

i read somewhere, wish i could remember, that the consistency of the 930 chips isn't nearly as good as the 950. some get 930s that dont perform like others. Seems 950 might run cooler and has a better overall overclock and sounds like a better chance for a great batch. Anyone else heard similar?

the only consistency the 930s have is that they, with the exception of some older decent batches, really arent great overclockers...at least when compared to the 920s which had a ton of golden batches and a ton of other batches that were real good clockers

The problem with the 950s is there is not a heck of alot of OC information about them, bc they were so high priced, not many people bought them.

Basically the question boils down to is it worth it to have the higher multi options (950=23X default, 24X turbo) (930=21 default, 22Xturbo)...as some have said I like having more multi options.

If I was in your shoes, I would wait a month, let people start posting 950 batch info and overclocking results, then go and purchase a 950 batch which shows the most promise, but thats me.

• Rep+
Reactions: Cacophony

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cacophony View Post
the 950 is higher quality than the 930....
hey your the one with the sandwich system so shut up
not to be mean

1 - 20 of 20 Posts