Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is that CPU with 3.33Ghz like coming E6800 hard to overclock, since it is 3.33 already?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
new processors? or old one's. pls be more specific. you really cant post a wide open question like that. its impossible to answer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,806 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by j2ee
View Post

Is that CPU with 3.33Ghz like coming E6800 hard to overclock, since it is 3.33 already?

Huh?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,627 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by j2ee View Post
Is that CPU with 3.33Ghz like coming E6800 hard to overclock, since it is 3.33 already?
No, overclocking is often relative. Ex: If a CPU is 2 GHz stock and you're able to OC it 50% to 3 GHz, it's likely that the 3 GHz edition could reach a 50% OC too (4.5 GHz). This is partly because the stock voltages on a fast CPU are the same as the stock voltages on a slow CPU (E8200 and E8600 have the same stock Vcore).
 

·
Man with Fans
Joined
·
7,746 Posts
He's saying, are CPU's with higher original clock speed harder to overclock as opposed to low clock speed CPU's?

e.g. i7-920 2.66GHz vs. i7-950 3.00GHz.
 

·
Chainsaw noise far off
Joined
·
6,010 Posts

·
PC Evangelist
Joined
·
46,964 Posts
It not hard but you dont have much room left. E8600 even at 3.33Ghz can still get 4.5Ghz which is still good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,290 Posts
Basically, processors from the same family (aka, first letter and/or number, such as an E8XXX, or 9xx) will overclock to about the same level. 920's will hit 4ghz, along with their faster (stock) 940 and 950 brothers.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,352 Posts
I recommend a BSEL mod on an E3300 to 266MHz FSB for 3.33 GHz.

should be fine with stock volts, if not you can BSEL mod for more volts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
The way I understand it it all depends on stock voltages. Am I right? Less heat=higher overclock?

if not don't worry, i'm still a nub lol
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,627 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hickeydog View Post
Basically, processors from the same family (aka, first letter and/or number, such as an E8XXX, or 9xx) will overclock to about the same level. 920's will hit 4ghz, along with their faster (stock) 940 and 950 brothers.
I disagree.

As you can see here, here, and here, models with higher stock clocks generally have higher average OCs.

Ex: Phenom II 940 (stock 3 Ghz) gets an average OC of 4 GHz, which is 0.3 GHz higher than the average OC of a Phenom II 920 (stock 2.8 GHz).
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xinoxide View Post
I recommend a BSEL mod on an E3300 to 266MHz FSB for 3.33 GHz.

should be fine with stock volts, if not you can BSEL mod for more volts.
I am using BSEL with E420, OC from 1.6 to 2.736. Actually E3500 is coming out too, do you think I can also BSEL E3500 or E6800? Those are newest coming out models.
 

·
Man with Fans
Joined
·
7,746 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpookedJunglist View Post
The 3.8ghz Prescots were very hard to OC.

Are you looking for recent CPUs are are you just looking for a challenge overall?
And I take it as an exception due to its heat output and ridiculously high factory speed?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpookedJunglist View Post
The 3.8ghz Prescots were very hard to OC.

Are you looking for recent CPUs are are you just looking for a challenge overall?
recent one, really for daily use. Since 775 socket CPU is pretty cheap except having a lot of cache kind, then I just want to buy a most updated one that is hard to OC then I just don't OC it with my intel motherboard, then I am happy with that.
 

·
Man with Fans
Joined
·
7,746 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by j2ee View Post
recent one, really for daily use. Since 775 socket CPU is pretty cheap except having a lot of cache kind, then I just want to buy a most updated one that is hard to OC then I just don't OC it with my intel motherboard, then I am happy with that.
Most new CPUs are easy to OC....
The 3.8's are a real challenge though, as backed by Jung.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top