Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I have a PC devoted to playing videos, etc...It's got my old Sempron 3400+, and my x1600. It plays normal videos (from the hard drive) just fine, but when I try to play 1080's (also off the hard drive) it stutters like crazy. Would I be better off switching to a 2.93Ghz Celeron D?

(Both will be running entirely stock, as the goal for this PC is to run as quietly as possible - only one weak case fan, plus of course the PSU fan (which is only like 230W) and a CPU cooler (I forget which one, I bought it a while ago).

·
semi-legit
7,980 Posts
Why not just use another chip that you could use with your existing motherboard like an Athlon64 or x2?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I already have a Sempron 3400+ (runs at 2.0 Ghz) and a Celeron D running at 2.93, and boards to fit each. And I don't have any spare cash for new parts, so I'm stuck with what I already have.

·
Premium Member
8,616 Posts
Sell all of them and get an E1200.

·
semi-legit
7,980 Posts
Ah ok, you didn't say you already had the chip/board. I figured an Athlon would be best, but if you have to choose between the two: the Sempron should still be better for your needs. Check it out.

• Rep+
Reactions: Gandalf

·
Premium Member
5,772 Posts
Is the celeron socket 478?? if so does the Mobo support HT?? if so i have a P4 2.6 or 2.8 GHz HT that id gladly sell you for near nothing! just PM me

• Rep+
Reactions: Gandalf

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great, thanks for the answers! (And of course, rep is coming)

sdla4ever, thanks for the offer, it's 478, but I don't think it supports HT. Thanks though!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts