Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to order a new comp and I know that I am going to get the Dfi lanparty ut nf3 mobo. I am leaning towards an athlon64 3000+ cpu. I am also going to use the thermalright xp-120 heatsink so that I will have sufficient cooling for Overclocking. Given this information would you recommend the 3000+, 3200+, or another cpu that I have not mentioned.

·
Premium Member
8,208 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandron19

I am about to order a new comp and I know that I am going to get the Dfi lanparty ut nf3 mobo. I am leaning towards an athlon64 3000+ cpu. I am also going to use the thermalright xp-120 heatsink so that I will have sufficient cooling for Overclocking. Given this information would you recommend the 3000+, 3200+, or another cpu that I have not mentioned.

Socket 754 right? It really depends on your budget but for that socket most would say Clawhammer.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Transonic

Socket 754 right? It really depends on your budget but for that socket most would say Clawhammer.

Yes It is socket 754. I am wanting to pay less than $200. Most everything that I look at the core is NewCastle.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

I'd say get the 3200 Clawhammer. For about 40 bucks more you get a higher multi which helps because your ram/mem controller dont have to be super dupper for you to get decent numbers.

But if money is an issue go with the 3000+ clawhammer. It'll be great, but you'll need some good memory to get the clocks up there.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil XP2400

I'd say get the 3200 Clawhammer. For about 40 bucks more you get a higher multi which helps because your ram/mem controller dont have to be super dupper for you to get decent numbers.

But if money is an issue go with the 3000+ clawhammer. It'll be great, but you'll need some good memory to get the clocks up there.

So the newcastle core is out of the question?

·
Premium Member
8,208 Posts
Quote:

Yes It is socket 754. I am wanting to pay less than $200. Most everything that I look at the core is NewCastle.

you might as well get the 3400+ clawhammer for $221 (2.2GHz). Just sell some more stuff to make up the extra cash lol.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

So the newcastle core is out of the question?

Not out of the question, but the clawhammers have 1MB l2 cache, and also have an exposed CPU die which helps get the heat off better.

The 1mb l2 is the equivalent of about 200mhz according to amd.

A 1.8ghz clawhammer = the performance of a 2.0ghz newcastle.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Not out of the question, but the clawhammers have 1MB l2 cache, and also have an exposed CPU die which helps get the heat off better.

The 1mb l2 is the equivalent of about 200mhz according to amd.

A 1.8ghz clawhammer = the performance of a 2.0ghz newcastle.

Okay thank you guys for the advice I will go with the Clawhammer. Do you think the 3200+ or the 3400+ is the better buy. With the DFI LP UT NF3 board do you have any suggestions for RAM that will help me OC well. Also do you think that the XP-120 will serve well.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Okay thank you guys for the advice I will go with the Clawhammer. Do you think the 3200+ or the 3400+ is the better buy. With the DFI LP UT NF3 board do you have any suggestions for RAM that will help me OC well. Also do you think that the XP-120 will serve well.

OCZ ram is very good. I would get the highest rated CPU you can afford without breaking the bank.

OCZ Gold Rev.2 PC4000
OCZ Plat Rev. PC3200
OCZ Gold VX PC3200

The XP120 will serve you very well, it's a great heatsink. I had one before watercooling and It was awesome.

·
Premium Member
8,208 Posts
Quote:

some might argue with me but i got 1Gb OCZ VX PC3200 and it's suppose to OC like freaking crazy, even more so with the DDR booster. It's lifetime warrantied up to 3.5 volts! i need a new mobo before i can OC it, mine kinda sucks.

XP-120 = great air cooling when matched with a good 120mm fan like a delta, panaflo or sunon.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Transonic

some might argue with me but i got 1Gb OCZ VX PC3200 and it's suppose to OC like freaking crazy, even more so with the DDR booster. It's lifetime warrantied up to 3.5 volts! i need a new mobo before i can OC it, mine kinda sucks.

XP-120 = great air cooling when matched with a good 120mm fan like a delta, panaflo or sunon.

Yeah the PC3200 VX overclocks really high @ 2-2-2 timings but you need to put 3.5v's through it to get it that high.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

OCZ ram is very good. I would get the highest rated CPU you can afford without breaking the bank.

OCZ Gold Rev.2 PC4000
OCZ Plat Rev. PC3200
OCZ Gold VX PC3200

The XP120 will serve you very well, it's a great heatsink. I had one before watercooling and It was awesome.

I noticed that you listed pc4000 will it work with the DFI board? I think that it only list pc2700 and pc3200. Just asking?

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
PC4000 will default to PC3200 speeds until you start increasing the CPU clock speed. All PC4000 means is you're buying RAM that's been tested to run up to 500MHz.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy
PC4000 will default to PC3200 speeds until you start increasing the CPU clock speed. All PC4000 means is you're buying RAM that's been tested to run up to 500MHz.
Ok So if I go with the PC4000 there is less of a chance of the ram limiting my overclock. Will the clawhammer work with the Dfi lanparty ut nf3 board without any complications. It says it is for DTR notebooks.

·
Banned
3,702 Posts
Quote:

Ok So if I go with the PC4000 there is less of a chance of the ram limiting my overclock. Will the clawhammer work with the Dfi lanparty ut nf3 board without any complications. It says it is for DTR notebooks.
yes it will, same socket, same number of pins. it is mainly used for laptops, but is great for dsktop computers for OC'ing. Yes if you get the PC4000 ram you can push your fsb higher without the speed of the pc3200 bottlenecking your OC.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts