Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.

Which desktop configuration will perform better when gaming? I don't care about DX11 effects. Don't worry about budget or anything else for that matter. I just simply want to know which configuration would perform better when gaming.

- AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
- AMD Radeon HD 6770 1GB DX11 GDDR5 Graphics Card
- 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1333MHz Memory Kit
- 1TB 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

**OR**

- Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
- AMD Radeon HD 4870X2 Dual-GPU 2GB DX10.1 GDDR5 Graphics Card
- 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR2 1066MHz Memory Kit

·
Ultimate Rig Winner
7,280 Posts
For pure gaming power... Get the second one. But for overall betternes... Get the first since its newer tech (DDR3, GPU etc)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedroc1999 View Post

For pure gaming power... Get the second one. But for overall betternes... Get the first since its newer tech (DDR3, GPU etc)
How much better of a pure gaming machine is the Intel configuration compared to the AMD configuration? Is it WAY better, or just a bit better, do you think?

I see you also entered your dream rig into the "Win Your Ultimate Gaming Rig" OCN contest, and I see that you also went with an FX-8350 like me
smile.gif
I'm not alone!!
biggrin.gif

·
Ultimate Rig Winner
7,280 Posts
It will be a bit better, since the 4870x2 matches the HD7770 more or less. Also the 6770 is a rebranded 57770 so it isnt that good. The HD7770 is a big improvement over the 6770 so your better off with teh second one

·
r/madlads
8,705 Posts
I doubt though. the x4 will eat the Q6600 for lunch and you might even be bottlenecked by DDR2 (Wait, P35 board? Or X38?)

I got a hunch you're getting them used but just a warning the 4870X2 does have a max TDP of 350W

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Both are pretty old & pretty meh. And honestly, it depends on what kind of games you play. For most games the second system (with the two 4870s) will likely be better. For cpu-dependent games (like guild wars 2, sc2), the first will probably be better.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Some of the games I would be playing on the Intel configuration would be:
- Hawken
- Team Fortress 2
- Planetside 2
- Torchlight
- Multiple Counter Strike Games
- Ravaged
- Possibly Battlefield 3
- League of Legends
**Basically any online-geared game**

Which of these games are more CPU dependent, and which of these games are more GPU dependent?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm also thinking of going the APU route and just getting an AMD A10-6800K APU when it comes out and building upon that, but that route will cost me a lot more...

So, with that in mind, which of these two configurations would perform better for gaming (with the games I've listed) do you think? (based on the limited knowledge of the A10-6800K)

**I don't care about power consumption, heat, or DX11 features.**

The Intel configuration:
- Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
- AMD Radeon HD 4870X2 Dual-GPU 2GB DX10.1 GDDR5 Graphics Card
- 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR2 1066MHz Memory Kit

**OR**

The AMD APU configuration (which will cost me twice as much, so approximately over $250 more:)
- AMD A10-6800K 4.1GHz Quad-Core APU w/ Radeon HD 8670D Integrated Graphics Chip
- At least 4GB of DDR3 1866MHz RAM

·
Ultimate Rig Winner
7,280 Posts
Newer tech is much better than older one (Unless its a high end compared to extremely low end) Not to mention the 775 Is more than dead, in fact every Intel socket is dead

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
The AMD configuration is worse in every way but CPU speed. It would not be worth your money or to trade systems or whatever. Looking at your list of games, you'll see some improved performance for multiplayer BF3 (just the maps with lots of players), as the big BF3 multiplayer maps can use some good CPU oomph. But in pretty much every other game the AMD confituation will be worse (this is pretty much just because of the crappier video card). And honestly your Intel chip should handle BF3 ok in most situations.

There ARE some games where I'd disagree with myself, as I stated above, but generally you probably don't want to be turning down graphics settings for those few rare games that can use the better processor. And it's not like the Phenom II x4 is leagues ahead of the Intel quad.

·
Registered
360 Posts
id go with the AMD x4 965 with an 5850 or 5870 if you have the config already just upgrade the GPU! and ram for gaming (and bf3 ) you should get DDR3-1600Mhz ram, or if youre in the us get the Samsung WonderRAm from newegg

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRINMYLAZERMAN View Post

You think the second one will perform better when gaming?
tongue.gif
Is it worth spending twice as much on parts though?
I would be careful buying either one. These are old and not worth much. Have you looked into building something new verses buying one of these old machines?

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
I vote for the first one.

the 2nd one with HD4870x2 wouldve been stronger but its almost obsolete.
Crysis 3 will only run in dx11 cards so pretty soon more games will follow

1 - 20 of 21 Posts