Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
i want to get a new processor and i like the look of the new dual core processors.
but i was wondering which one should i get?
i was looking at the opteron 170 and the athlon x2 3800 or 4200?
which would be better, i.e for gaming multi tasking editing photos videos e.t.c.

any advise would be helpful

thanks!

·
Registered
683 Posts
IMO i wouldnt get a dual core at all because the program u are using has to be able to use it adn thosre programs are apparently expensive. unless you are doing this i wouldnt get one but if u do get one i would go for the opty becaus i hear they overclock very good. thats y im getting one

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
well if ur gaming i would for the x2 but if u want the edge in multi go for the opty. the differnce is small between eitehr in either category so really its ur prefernce and ur money

·
Premium Member
4,460 Posts
I vote for the Opteron as well. Good price point and you get the 1mb l2 cache.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pjlietz

I vote for the Opteron as well. Good price point and you get the 1mb l2 cache.

o yea forgot about that! yea go for the opty then

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
which one is more overclockable? get more performance? and would the original heat sink be good enough or should i opt for water cooling solutions?

·
Premium Member
4,460 Posts
Mines at 2.75 so they overclock fairly well, not as good as the single core optys, but you got two of them so... As far as cooling, good air or water will work good for it.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by -relk-

IMO i wouldnt get a dual core at all because the program u are using has to be able to use it adn thosre programs are apparently expensive. unless you are doing this i wouldnt get one but if u do get one i would go for the opty becaus i hear they overclock very good. thats y im getting one

What are you talking about the guy says he does video and photo editing and rendering and likes to multi task why not dual core??? and newer games as time goes on will start to use adn do use dual core,,,, ,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
527 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bwomp969

well if ur gaming i would for the x2 but if u want the edge in multi go for the opty. the differnce is small between eitehr in either category so really its ur prefernce and ur money

how is an X2 better for gaming??? can you explain that ? so your saying that an opteron at (X) clock speed is not as good running games as an X2 at (X) clock speed?

also the 3800 and the 4200 x2 he is looking at both have less L2 cache then the opt 170 at almost the same or close price point,,, you say the difference is small in gaming but how is it better at gaming where are you getting this?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts