Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting two of them VERY soon but I don't know which to go with!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127746
MSI really seems to know what they're doing but their clock speeds are lower than Gigabyte's 780.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125488
More over the EVGA Reference GTX 780 has a really nice looking cooler.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130917

I don't plan on overclocking my video cards at all.

Which of these 3 would be the best?

·
Go Again!
5,871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireagle View Post

Getting two of them VERY soon but I don't know which to go with!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127746
MSI really seems to know what they're doing but their clock speeds are lower than Gigabyte's 780.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125488
More over the EVGA Reference GTX 780 has a really nice looking cooler.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130917

I don't plan on overclocking my video cards at all.

Which of these 3 would be the best?
This review actually put the asus on top but does give you info on two of your choices.

770ROUNDUP

·
Tech Enthusiast
12,388 Posts
If you plan on sticking to air, I'd go with the EVGA one. I prefer blower style cards for SLI configs.

That and I dislike the brown PCB on the MSI.

I don't think the gigabyte one is reference, so that might be a pain if you ever wanted to go with water down the line

·
Twitch Streamer
2,531 Posts
EVGA: Loudest of the two, but insanely good warranty. If you are big on warranty, EVGA is the best one to pick. Customer service is phenomenal. Cooler can be switched to waterblock easily as long as you keep the original air cooler for RMA. They are most lenient on RMA.-- native full block coverage because of reference PCB

MSI: Not very lenient on RMA compared to EVGA, a little louder than the Gigabyte Windforce at the same temperatures, might overclock the highest out of both the two (factory OC), reference PCB for full cover block also

Gigabyte: Not very lenient on RMA compared to EVGA, probably slightly quieter than MSI Twin Frozr, but significantly quieter than the stock blower centrifugal fan on the EVGA. custom PCB i believe but i think they have full block for it as well

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafboy View Post

If you plan on sticking to air, I'd go with the EVGA one. I prefer blower style cards for SLI configs.

That and I dislike the brown PCB on the MSI.

I don't think the gigabyte one is reference, so that might be a pain if you ever wanted to go with water down the line
EK is working on a block for that. I had a GTX 590 rig with a custom loop; EK VGA block which I just sold (whole rig) and building up a new PC.

·
Premium Member
17,348 Posts
Go for the evga acx 780 as Jacob said. Amazing cooling, amazing performance, amazing service!

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVGA-JacobF View Post

Any reason to not consider the 780 ACX? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130918

It would be my choice.

With GPU Boost 2.0, your GPU temp is king, and directly impacts the performance, so the dual fan's can really help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by szeged View Post

Go for the evga acx 780 as Jacob said. Amazing cooling, amazing performance, amazing service!
thats what I did this past weekend. I switched from the red team because i was tired of my loud 7950 and went and picked up a SC ACX GTX 780.....it has been my drem card since launch and i finally have it......

Jacob you guys are amazing..... just really... my card NEVER goes above 78* in a case ith sub par air flow....boost stock on mine is 1100Mhz and gets to 1225mhz stable before throttling due to the low power limit....imma fix that reallllyyy soon tho...

I dont mind the card almost getting to 80* as my 7950 would get to 93* with the fans ramping up to 96% on the Dual X cooler. I love how quiet it is and how it DESTROYS games @ 1440P.

Dont Mind the Dust!!! this was a Test fit and check for DOA... i have since then given it a good BlowJob lol
biggrin.gif

·
Tech Enthusiast
12,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVGA-JacobF View Post

Any reason to not consider the 780 ACX? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130918

It would be my choice.

With GPU Boost 2.0, your GPU temp is king, and directly impacts the performance, so the dual fan's can really help.
I would say that depends on his case and board. If he has space, absolutely, but if he has to stack them then that top card is going to be hurting for cool air.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Quote:

I would say that depends on his case and board. If he has space, absolutely, but if he has to stack them then that top card is going to be hurting for cool air.
I'm guessing everyone, like my self, is taking his mobo in his sig as the intended home for the cards. If so then he will be fine with the 1 slot spacing.....

Just be sure to add one of those nifty EVGA SLI bridges for that extra LEETness!!!
biggrin.gif

·
Tech Enthusiast
12,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx-jose View Post

I'm guessing everyone, like my self, is taking his mobo in his sig as the intended home for the cards. If so then he will be fine with the 1 slot spacing.....

Just be sure to add one of those nifty EVGA SLI bridges for that extra LEETness!!!
biggrin.gif
I initially thought that, but if he's going with the sig setup, I would imagine he will be watercooling it, so there isn't any real benefit of getting the ACX version, except maybe slightly better resale value depending how long he keeps it, lol

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Quote:

I initially thought that, but if he's going with the sig setup, I would imagine he will be watercooling it, so there isn't any real benefit of getting the ACX version, except maybe slightly better resale value depending how long he keeps it, lol
Think about it this way.....

If he has the spacing for it go ahead with the ACX cards and here is why...

1) they use the reference PCB so you can block em easy

2) the time they will be on air will be quiet time

3) better re sale value

but in the end....as long as its an EVGA it dont matter.....when i buy green team all i buy is EVGA.....no need for anything else... right now I have a FTW 750ti on the way as well for the other PC
smile.gif

Once you RMA with EVGA there is no other way
biggrin.gif

·
Premium Member
6,440 Posts
I've got an eVGA GTX 780 w/ stock cooler due tomorrow. I wanted the nice aluminum blower cooler, but if you're going for absolute performance, I'm sure the ACX cooler is the way to go.

I had an EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW Sig 2 with a dual-fan cooler, and it was very quiet and overclocked quite well.

·
Tech Enthusiast
12,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx-jose View Post

Think about it this way.....

If he has the spacing for it go ahead with the ACX cards and here is why...

1) they use the reference PCB so you can block em easy

2) the time they will be on air will be quiet time

3) better re sale value

but in the end....as long as its an EVGA it dont matter.....when i buy green team all i buy is EVGA.....no need for anything else... right now I have a FTW 750ti on the way as well for the other PC
smile.gif

Once you RMA with EVGA there is no other way
biggrin.gif
Doh! Just actually clicked the link, lol, the ACX is cheaper. No brainer. Last I saw the price it was more.

And I agreee, the RMA process is great with EVGA. #1 Customer Service as far as I am concerned. My Kingpin is in the process of being RMA'ed right now. Couldn't have been a smoother process.

·
Premium Member
6,520 Posts

·
Twitch Streamer
2,531 Posts
If the ACX is cheaper then you should get that. The ACX cooler which was on my 780 Classified was actually surprisingly quiet. Before going on to water i had the card idle and it was absolutely silent. Then on 50-60% load i would start to hear a slight hum but definitely a LOT quieter than other coolers ive had at 50-60% fan speed. If i wasnt going water cooling i would be happy with the ACX cooler at how quiet it is on idle temps. Compared to their Signature-coolers (the dual fan ones) i feel like the ACX was a considerably quieter and cooler at the same RPM. Even at max it was way quieter than my EVGA centrifugal blower fan on my 670 FTW or my Twin Frozr cooler on my last SLI build.

Plus you get outstanding warranty on top of that, you live in the United States and EVGA has great service for people in the US
smile.gif

This should have been linked as well!
thumb.gif

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesthethc View Post

If the ACX is cheaper then you should get that. The ACX cooler which was on my 780 Classified was actually surprisingly quiet. Before going on to water i had the card idle and it was absolutely silent. Then on 50-60% load i would start to hear a slight hum but definitely a LOT quieter than other coolers ive had at 50-60% fan speed. If i wasnt going water cooling i would be happy with the ACX cooler at how quiet it is on idle temps. Compared to their Signature-coolers (the dual fan ones) i feel like the ACX was a considerably quieter and cooler at the same RPM. Even at max it was way quieter than my EVGA centrifugal blower fan on my 670 FTW or my Twin Frozr cooler on my last SLI build.

Plus you get outstanding warranty on top of that, you live in the United States and EVGA has great service for people in the US
smile.gif

This should have been linked as well!
thumb.gif
My ACX is dead silent....remember im used to an AMD 7950 blasting at 90% fan next to my head.....i think my SP120s are louder then my 780 ACX on full load lol

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow I forgot this thread! Okay here's an update! I went with two ASUS GTX780 DCUII in SLI.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts