Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for the card that has the best cooling to keep temperatures low. Noise is also important but comes second where cooling and reliability comes first. I want to stick with air cooling. The case that I will use is the Phanteks luxe and I will keep the default fan set ups with a 200mm fan in the front, 140mm at the top back and 140mm at the back.

I've narrowed down my choices between MSI, Asus, and EVGA. The ones I'm looking into are MSI GTX 980Ti Gaming 6G, Asus GTX 980Ti Strix, EVGA GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0+.

I've heard that the Asus Strix had temperature issues and run quite hot, I'm not sure if this is still the case anymore, if anyone can confirm whether or not. Coil whine is something I also fear and it's more of a hit or miss but which of these cards have had the least coil whine issues? Basically I want to get the card that will last me for a very long time that is durable and overall good quality with low temperatures. If there are any other 980Ti's that meet my criteria, I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help me out, hopefully I can make a decision very soon.

·
Registered
119 Posts
To be honest you should look at the cards you wish to purchase and choose the one you think its best for you. I for one picked the EVGA GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0+ never had problem with it as it works like a charm and never had a problem EVGA cards through out the years of there cards its all down to personal preference and affordability

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
i'd just take a long stroll through the 980 ti thread.

every single card i've owned (760, 780ti, three 970's, and a 980ti) has had coil whine of some sort. from what i noticed is the more voltage you pump into it (which also goes hand in hand with running higer in game fps), the louder it gets (which make sense if you understand what's going on here).

i was very happy with my evga 970 SSC acx 2.0+ cards. the 980ti is an evga reference model with an ek full cover water block.

best way to get rid of coil whine, is a case with some good sound dampening in it. due to the higher pitch of the whine, a good case can really help.

even my air 540 just by pulling the windowed side panel on and off i can hear a massive difference in how much i can hear the whine. and there's no dampening material in the air 540.

evga is a very well known contender. not sure if you have any future plans for watercooling, but the strix is the only model listed that has full cover waterblocks developed for it. the other 2 do not. something to keep in mind, and something i wish i had taken into account when i got my SLI 970's.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts