1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Banned
5,698 Posts
I have a version of that EVGA and mine does 850/1700 on stock volts and stays really cool.

With that said though I would have no qualms about buying either one of those MSI because they look like those coolers are badass. The only difference for me would be warranty, and the EVGA one is a "TR" find the "AR" version and get that one, it is lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I don't really want to pay more than $180. I think I'll go with the MSI with the Frozr 2 cooler. It is overclocked the highest and has 3 year warranty over evga's 2 year warranty at that price.

Would I still get EVGA's lifetime warranty with this open box AR?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16814130564R

I won't have the money until around monday so I doubt this will still be there when I'm ready to buy though.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Segovax View Post
Yes. Get it now.
I'll get it as soon as I have enough money in my account linked to paypal. I'm crossing my fingers that it is still there Monday.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will a GTX460 work on my motherboard? I don't think it is PCIe 2.0.

Motherboard is BFG 680i SLI.

Edit: Also, will my PSU be ok? 550w 2x +12V rails with 18A on each.

·
Registered
628 Posts
The MSI Twin Frozr II SOC is the superior card of those three in that price range based on that HSF alone.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffredo View Post
The MSI Twin Frozr II SOC is the superior card of those three in that price range based on that HSF alone.
That is what I was thinking. I'm going to get that as long as the extra 1" in length will allow it to fit in my case. Otherwise, I'll have to go with the standard EVGA GTX 460. That EVGA GTX 460 is actually shorter than my EVGA 8800GT.

Do you have any idea if a GTX 460 will even work on my motherboard?

·
AMD Overclocker
9,178 Posts
In terms of best temps? The msi twin frozr II no doubt. But how well they overclock always depends on the chip.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I'm going to get the N460GTX Twin Frozr II SOC. I really like the cooler and the factory overclocked speeds. It is also exactly how much I wanted to spend.

I just read a post about it running on PCIe 1.x slots and found that it will work. I'm also sure it will work with my PSU(BFG 550W with 2x +12V rails @ 18A each). I measured my space and it should just barely fit. The worst that can happen is that I need to cut a couple notches in my hard drive cage.

My only question left is: Should I keep my 8800GT for physX? I see a lot of people doing that...my only problem is that I might have to upgrade my PSU. Is it really that important to have a 2nd GPU just for physX?

Thanks for all the replies!!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Buy your Twin Frozr from Mwave.com. If you join their little "club" you can get it for $169. All it involves is signing you up for their email specials. They're customer service is easily as good as Newegg's and they ship just as quickly.

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch...20DVI%20%20Min

I'm sure your mobo is fine. Its all backwards compatible anyway, plus its not that old.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffredo View Post
Buy your Twin Frozr from Mwave.com. If you join their little "club" you can get it for $169. All it involves is signing you up for their email specials. They're customer service is easily as good as Newegg's and they ship just as quickly.

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch...20DVI%20%20Min

I'm sure your mobo is fine. Its all backwards compatible anyway, plus its not that old.

That would be a good deal, but the shipping from mwave is $8.72 versus the $3.99 shipping charge from newegg. I'd really only be saving $2 by going to mwave. I'll stick with newegg...I already have an account there and they've never done me wrong.

·
Premium Member
8,423 Posts
The Cyclone runs very cool and extraordinarily quiet. I'd go for that given the price of the available options.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by staryoshi View Post
The Cyclone runs very cool and extraordinarily quiet. I'd go for that given the price of the available options.
I'm not really worried about noise, but would it easily overclock up to the factory overclocked speeds of the Twin Frozr II? And then still stay cool?

·
Registered
110 Posts
im in the same dilemma, its between MSI Twin Frozr II SOC vs EVGA 768-P3-1360-TR.

im wondering which one will preform better with a OC?? noise isnt really a issue, and the EVGA is 10$ cheaper.

will the MSI cooling be better off with a OC?

·
Premium Member
8,423 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Volker View Post
I'm not really worried about noise, but would it easily overclock up to the factory overclocked speeds of the Twin Frozr II? And then still stay cool?
You should be able to pass 900Mhz core with the Cyclone. I could run mine at 925Mhz with very solid temps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by timf808 View Post
im in the same dilemma, its between MSI Twin Frozr II SOC vs EVGA 768-P3-1360-TR.

im wondering which one will preform better with a OC?? noise isnt really a issue, and the EVGA is 10$ cheaper.

will the MSI cooling be better off with a OC?
Both are reference boards and should have about the same OC headroom in theory, but both the Twin Frozr II and Cyclone, among others, are better heatsinks than EVGA's, both their radial and turbine models.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by staryoshi View Post
You should be able to pass 900Mhz core with the Cyclone. I could run mine at 925Mhz with very solid temps.

Both are reference boards and should have about the same OC headroom in theory, but both the Twin Frozr II and Cyclone, among others, are better heatsinks than EVGA's, both their radial and turbine models.

what about the asus directcu model? vs the cyclone? which has better cooling?

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I still just really like the way that the Twin Frozr II heatsink is designed. I'm sticking with that. I'm sure it can overclock really well too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts