Overclock.net banner

Which headset?

3K views 56 replies 15 participants last post by  Exostenza 
#1 ·
I am going to pick up a new headset and was wondering what you guys think?

It is between the:

SteelSeries 7H 7.1 Surround Gaming Headphones
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Product...29888(ME).aspx

and the

Logitech G35 7.1 Surround Sound Headset
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Product...24956(ME).aspx

I have a set of the original SteelSeries 5vh2 which are great for lans because they are open ear and I can hear my games and my friends, but since I am in an apartment I want something that packs punch for my games when I am alone in the apartment.

The nice thing about the new steel series ones is that it offers offers two interchangeable ear-cushions, one for closed sound and one for open sound. This would allow me to sell my original set and only be working with one set.

On the other hand the G35 probably has better punch and sound overall, but im not too sure. I don't mind holding onto my old ones and using them for laning it up.

So what do you guys think?

See less See more
#2 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Exostenza View Post
I am going to pick up a new headset and was wondering what you guys think?

It is between the:

SteelSeries 7H 7.1 Surround Gaming Headphones
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Product...29888(ME).aspx

and the

Logitech G35 7.1 Surround Sound Headset
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Product...24956(ME).aspx

I have a set of the original SteelSeries 5vh2 which are great for lans because they are open ear and I can hear my games and my friends, but since I am in an apartment I want something that packs punch for my games when I am alone in the apartment.

The nice thing about the new steel series ones is that it offers offers two interchangeable ear-cushions, one for closed sound and one for open sound. This would allow me to sell my original set and only be working with one set.

On the other hand the G35 probably has better punch and sound overall, but im not too sure. I don't mind holding onto my old ones and using them for laning it up.

So what do you guys think?
Hey there. Between these two headsets, there is no clear-cut winner for audio quality. I have heard other Steelseries (not this one specifically), but they all tend to sound the same. I would lean toward the Steelseries because in my experience, they have always been more comfortable than the logitechs, especially if you're going to game for hours at a time. If you were adventurous, I would recommend the AD700s, but some people prefer a gaming headset rather than a pair of stereo headphones.

Anyways, see if you can try both out and see what you like. Hope that helps!

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply.. I am pretty split between the two as I know the Logitech pair has great bass and my current pair of steelseries have little to no bass. Though I have read that the new ones are much improved over the ones that I have now. Also the interchangeable muffs are a big plus and would allow me to sell my old pair.

I don't know what to do other than maybe go into the store and buy try them out. Also I guess I have a 7 day return policy. I could just get my buddy with the g35 to come over and let me try both of em.

Anyone else?

Both headsets got 10/10 on Hardware heaven...

#5 ·
The question is do they have the bass that the logitech delivers? I think I am going to go for the steel series one anyways now... I am looking for a gaming headset and not an overall headset.

Well if i pick them up tonight I'll let you guys know how they are and if not I'll have them tomorrow night.

#6 ·
I have no experience with the Steelseries headset, but I have the G35. I've had it for about 1 year 3 months. Last week, I picked them up, raised them to put them on my head, and they snapped. The entire left cup and mic broke off. They are actually only held on by a little bit of plastic thats about 4-5mm across. That's it.

Other than that, they're a pretty decent gaming headset. I was pretty upset when they broke, as when I bought them they were $200+ out here (they have since dropped down to sub $150 I believe) and I took really good care of them the whole time I've had them.

I am now myself looking for a good gaming headset. I need one that has sound quality (both headphones and especially mic) equal to or better than the G35, but with much stronger build quality.

If you choose the Steelseries, or something other than the G35s, let us know how you go, and your impressions in regards to sound and build quality.

#7 ·
My vote goes for Logitech due to their service.

Mas call logis service they will probably help you with yours.

#9 ·
well, youre obviously leaning towards the steel, but let me plug the g35 for you. I've had mine for almost a year now and LOVE them. Quality is very high. I owned a pair of AXE PRO Tritons... COMPLETE GARBAGE. Swithced to g35, awesome sound, had to turn bass down actually to not go deaf. And honestly, my wife hates them because i cant hear anything except screams within my room, and nothing further out in the house lol.

#10 ·
Mas, logitech has a lifetime warranty on everything. They are the best in the industry and didn't even make me send my broken mouse back. All I had to do was produce my receipt to them and they sent me a new one very quickly through DHL.

itsme9003: If I was going to get a headset (not gaming) for gaming it would be sennheizer, no questions asked. I want a gaming headset with a good mic though.

#12 ·
oh god, don't waste your money.

Buy an JVC RX700: ($CA 47)

http://www.techdepotcanada.com/servl...VC-Full/Detail

or JVC RX900: ($CA 75)

http://www.techdepotcanada.com/servl...VC-Full/Detail

And then buy an soundcard like:

Xonar DX

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...5&promoid=1018

MUCH better value. And then get a lapel mic of your choice. Not hard. Cheaper and sounds better.
All the regular audiophiles here are offline (except me). After you mod the JVC RX series (real easy felt mod), you got yourself a very good bang for buck headphone. the JVC RX900 has s slightly larger soundstage and more bass. the 5HV2 is laughable for music and the Siberia is so so average.

#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mas View Post
Those are not gaming headsets
But they are better for gaming overall due to the soundcard's DSPs such as Dolby Headphone. Regular stereo headphones paired with surround sound DSPs are actually much better for gaming than 'gaming headsets' + much better build quality + much better value.

for music, it's a no contest.

#17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi View Post
But they are better for gaming overall due to the soundcard's DSPs such as Dolby Headphone. Regular stereo headphones paired with surround sound DSPs are actually much better for gaming than 'gaming headsets' + much better build quality + much better value.

I appreciate the input, but I am not getting these for music or movies. I am going to use these for gaming only and I do not want to have a seperate headset and mic as I take them on the go a lot with my gaming laptop. Also I am not getting the 5VH2 as you spoke about, I am replacing them.

As for the sound card I used to have an X-Fi and to be honest going to onboard I really haven't noticed a difference. I am not willing to spend money on a sound card and the USB one that comes with the 7H will work on my laptop as well.

For music I use my speakers as my computer is in the living room and I am generally up and around doing things when music is playing. I have a pair of Sennheizer cordless headphones, but I find that I never use them...

I am going to pick up the 7H 7.1 Gaming headset tonight and I will report back after I have had a chance to use them. I have lots of homework, so it will most likely be tomorrow night!

Thanks everyone for the discussion.

#19 ·
Both headsets are only virtual surround. You would be better off buy decent stereo headphones of the same value and using your soundcard's dolby/eax to provide the same virtual surround sound effect.

At least this way the headphones themselves will be of better quality and provide better soundstage and audio reproduction

Get a pair of Audio Technica ATH-AD400's for ~$140US - or read the reviews and buy something in your price range from THIS page on.

If you want true 5.1 gaming headset, consider the Medusa NX 5.1 Gaming Headset HERE or the Roccat Kave 5.1 Headset HERE - and stay away from crappu USB headphones at all cost

#20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi View Post

And that doesn't matter one bit. They are built for different purposes. Without a mic, they are worthless for gaming when you need a mic to coordinate via ventrilo/mumble/teamspeak etc. And no, a separate mic is not a viable option.

GD people. Please stop suggesting headsets with no mic to someone who needs a gaming headset.

It doesn't matter if it has the best sound in the world and only costs five bucks, if it won't do what you need it to do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by un-nefer View Post
Both headsets are only virtual surround. You would be better off buy decent stereo headphones of the same value and using your soundcard's dolby/eax to provide the same virtual surround sound effect.

At least this way the headphones themselves will be of better quality and provide better soundstage and audio reproduction

Get a pair of Audio Technica ATH-AD400's for ~$140US - or read the reviews and buy something in your price range from THIS page on.

If you want true 5.1 gaming headset, consider the Medusa NX 5.1 Gaming Headset HERE or the Roccat Kave 5.1 Headset HERE - and stay away from crappu USB headphones at all cost

Do those two (the Medusa and the Roccat Kave) have a good mic? Noise cancellation is often a big deal when it comes to gaming headsets. It doesn't look like they do. Not all of us play in a soundproof basement or live alone :/

Cheers

#21 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mas
View Post

And that doesn't matter one bit. They are built for different purposes. Without a mic, they are worthless for gaming when you need a mic to coordinate via ventrilo/mumble/teamspeak etc. And no, a separate mic is not a viable option.

GD people. Please stop suggesting headsets with no mic to someone who needs a gaming headset.

It doesn't matter if it has the best sound in the world and only costs five bucks, if it won't do what you need it to do.

You can add mic's on, better quality mics and have better sound, better positional, better music, better music, and a cheaper expense.

ANY audiophile headphone + Labtec LVA 7330 trumps just about ANY gaming headset in just about everyway.

I don't usually see things as "Better" but there is no denying this. With jus ta little bit of injinutity you can have the best gaming headphones on the block WITH A MIC!

#22 ·
I know a few people who bought the G35 and keep asking me to let them 'borrow' one of my headphones.

Quote:

And no, a separate mic is not a viable option.

I've been playing competitive CS:S for years with my Zalman clip-on mic and my HD212, HD555 and now currently my ATH-M50. I 'sound' better than the rest of my team who all use stuff like 5Hv2's, G35s and PC-350(although that one is pretty good)

#23 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by yashau
View Post

I know a few people who bought the G35 and keep asking me to let them 'borrow' one of my headphones.

I've been playing competitive CS:S for years with my Zalman clip-on mic and my HD212, HD555 and now currently my ATH-M50. I 'sound' better than the rest of my team who all use stuff like 5Hv2's, G35s and PC-350(although that one is pretty good)

My roomate with an A40 asks for my RX700.

#24 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by yashau
View Post

Thats great for you, but I've tried them myself in the past, and some of my current raid members use them, and it's horrible. Half the time, you can't hear what they are saying, they fade in or out, or you get a bunch of weird background noise.

On a side note, I was really looking at those PC-350s, but I read some pretty terrible reviews on them, which turned me off. Have you used them yourself?

#25 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mas
View Post

Thats great for you, but I've tried them myself in the past, and some of my current raid members use them, and it's horrible. Half the time, you can't hear what they are saying, they fade in or out, or you get a bunch of weird background noise.

On a side note, I was really looking at those PC-350s, but I read some pretty terrible reviews on them, which turned me off. Have you used them yourself?

Sorry but I call bull ****. I'm pretty sure the rest of the people here disagree with your first paragraph.

And yes I've used the PC-350s. Very similar to the HD-555 although a bit different (HD 595?). The build quality is inferior to my M50 tenfold though. It's the best headphone and mic headset you can get below $200 in my opinion. If you want a real solution check out the Qpad QH-1339. It's a Beyer DT770 with a studio quality mic however it's price goes up to $400 in some stores.

As for reviews, you clearly are looking at the wrong places because I find good reviews all around for it.

#26 ·
You can call bull**** all you want, but that doesn't change the fact that I, and many people I know (I have been using mumble and before that ventrilo/teamspeak etc for 9+ years with literally hundreds of people (if not thousands), all of them with different setups) have experienced it. More often than not, while raiding with these people in MMOs, when they sound horrible/have a lot of bad background noise/fade in and out and asked what kind of headset they have, they have said they were using headphones with a separate mic. And no, I don't think "most of the people here would disagree with my first paragraph" considering the majority of the people who have posted in the thread were advocating some sort of gaming headset with a mic attached, and not saying to go out and buy headphones and a separate mic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.