Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm putting together a new water cooling loop and I finally managed to decide which waterblock I wanted a few weeks ago, The Heatkiller... But now I'm just unsure about which variant.

They're two main choices...
http://www.chilledpc.co.uk/shop/prod...oducts_id=1189
OR
http://www.chilledpc.co.uk/shop/prod...oducts_id=1290

Now I'm just trying to see the big differences between the two because I am on budget. Now one is more expensive obviously( almost double in fact) and appears to be made from more copper (so it'd be better at transferring heat right?). So I just wanted a few opinions here... I'm pretty sure the copper one is going to be better but is it that much better? Just don't want get something that isn't going to benefit me MASSIVELY if you know what I mean.

Thanks in advance guys

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
The difference between the heatkillers follow:

CU has an all copper body, the base model

The LT has a delrin top to reduce cost, and only performs marginally worse than the CU. The CU is mainly for looks.

The LC has a few channels less, and has better flow rate and is cheaper

I would personally get the LT. Best bang for the buck.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh thanks Space Pope you've helped me once again, I can't remember how many times i've probably repped you lol
So there are three different versions? Hmm do they even do a version of the LT for LGA775 because from what i can see on chilled pc it's only LC CU and the LC appears to be cheapest. There is a LT on there but it says it's for LGA1366 and it's the same price as the CU :S Hmmmm

PS. Here's what I'm looking at...
http://www.chilledpc.co.uk/shop/inde...sort=2a&page=2

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again SP really helpful link there... A lot of the stuff on there leans towards the LC, bang for buck and such... Hmmm have to give it some more consideration... Hmm I've seen a few things about a backplate I was wondering If anyone could tell me the importance of one of these?

Thanks

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
Backplate reduces the stress on the motherboard. Say when you mount it using the bolts and the springs, the springs tend to bend the motherboard due to the pressure. By using a backplate, it gives you good pressure without having the chance of damaging your mobo. I think it would be a good investment, and I think the backplate should only cost you about 3 pound 50.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Copper will also oxidize over time. I personall like the HK 3.0 LT, but the only difference is that the LT retains heat differently than copper, which is why the block runs a little hotter. But either way, the copper sells only for its looks, and for 20 USD more, i don't think its worth it either. Even the LT performs alot better than other conventional blocks. Take the Apogee GTZ for instance; great block for novice users because of its installation, but it's not going to get you the best temps available.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts