Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have XP Pro 32 bit right now and i am usually just playing games on this rig and XP runs just fine here. But i was wondering should i upgrade to windows vista 64 bit? i've never tried 64 bit before but i heard it's better than 32, and i've never tried windows vista so it will be a whole new experience for me
. So which one is preferred for gaming? Thanks a lot for your answers!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by trueg50
View Post

Vista 64.

Updates and better drivers have put it at least on the same ballpark as 32 bit XP, and games that can utilize x64 enhancements make it much better.

Agreed.

·
Initializing...
23,790 Posts
Vista x64 is better. The driver support for Vista x64 is real good also.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm still stuck with xp32. I'm glad i never have to deal with the vista program compatibility problems like some people have to. I think i'll stick with it untill windows 7 comes out.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
XP by far, I dual boot vista and xp, and there is a noticable FPS difference between the two. But I heard windows 7 will be better then both.

·
Premium Member
8,252 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by charliemopps
View Post

I'm still stuck with xp32. I'm glad i never have to deal with the vista program compatibility problems like some people have to. I think i'll stick with it untill windows 7 comes out.

There really isn't any at all.

You just have to snag the Vista x64 version of programs that have the ability to operate at the driver level (like Daemon tools).

·
Premium Member
20,338 Posts
xp32 will give you faster FPS and lower system overhead.

I have duplicate systems here, one with xp64 (I also have a couple with XP32 as well) and one with vista 64 and in benches and FPS tests, the XP based system is always ahead by at least a few percentage points.

If there were games out that provided a benefit to going DX10, then vista would likely be a better option but seeing as that has not happened, I'm with XP until something better comes along.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Ever since SP1 Vista is better. I have tested this on two systems personally.

Here is a test from a when SP1 was released, I went ahead and skipped to the gaming results for you:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...2302500,00.asp

As I already knew long before this test, the majority of the issue was due to ATI and NV graphics drivers. Now that Vista x64 is pretty much de-facto for high-end gaming and new builds, the drivers are of proper quality.

·
Administrator
64,361 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by trueg50
View Post

Vista 64.

Updates and better drivers have put it at least on the same ballpark as 32 bit XP, and games that can utilize x64 enhancements make it much better.

Cant be said better. Give Vista X64 a shot. You will like it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts