Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might have gotten a free old waterblock for a GTX980 (just an EK FC-980 GTX Nickel - Acetal) and i might've chopped it apart.

What I have is a EVGA SC ACX2.0 GTX 980 using a Accelero Twin Turbo II as a cooler.
It had no VRM heatsinks or anything with it so I bought a Arctic Hybrid 980 VRM kit (will make it fit somehow). Which is a aluminum heatsink with proper fins.

Now, what i have done is basically take off the acetal top and cut out the core cooling part of the GPU block so that the mount for the Accelero fits through it leaving the entire RAM and VRM section intact.
This means i now have a massive block of copper on ym VRAM and VRM with the active backplate on it as well with thermal pads.

Now, this does not have any fins on it obviously so I wonder how effective it is with just the Accelero fans blowing onto it.. I mean, there's plenty of cards that just use a flat aluminum plate for VRM and VRAM cooling but they have more powerful VRM that run cooler..

The heat transfer is fine, the block gets bloody hot, but i wonder if it actually cools down enough..

Would the way smaller and lighter but finned aluminum heatsink be more efficient? I don't want to blow it up just yet lol and i am running 1494mhz @ 1.243v with about 240w power draw in-game or benches.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I might have gotten a free old waterblock for a GTX980 (just an EK FC-980 GTX Nickel - Acetal) and i might've chopped it apart.

What I have is a EVGA SC ACX2.0 GTX 980 using a Accelero Twin Turbo II as a cooler.
It had no VRM heatsinks or anything with it so I bought a Arctic Hybrid 980 VRM kit (will make it fit somehow). Which is a aluminum heatsink with proper fins.

Now, what i have done is basically take off the acetal top and cut out the core cooling part of the GPU block so that the mount for the Accelero fits through it leaving the entire RAM and VRM section intact.
This means i now have a massive block of copper on ym VRAM and VRM with the active backplate on it as well with thermal pads.

Now, this does not have any fins on it obviously so I wonder how effective it is with just the Accelero fans blowing onto it.. I mean, there's plenty of cards that just use a flat aluminum plate for VRM and VRAM cooling but they have more powerful VRM that run cooler..

The heat transfer is fine, the block gets bloody hot, but i wonder if it actually cools down enough..

Would the way smaller and lighter but finned aluminum heatsink be more efficient? I don't want to blow it up just yet lol and i am running 1494mhz @ 1.243v with about 240w power draw in-game or benches.
To properly answer this question one needs to know the surface area of the aluminum sinks that you have. That being said, there's a good chance that the sinks have an equal or greater surface area. Surface area is what determines thermal transfer into the ambient air, not mass. All mass does is allow a certain (not infinite) amount of heat to warm the mass until it reaches equilibrium.

It's a bit too late now but 80-100 bucks and some creativity might have let you keep the full cover block.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It has a cracked top that's why i got it. Crack at the fitting connector.

And in terms of surface area.. gee that's a complicated calculation :p

EDIT: This is the heatsink I got.

The waterblock is basically like this now:

The red part is cut out (and obviously the top is off) and the rest of the entire block including backplate is mounted to the card with thermal pads. The Arctic's mount has a very small footprint so it fits though the hole. Core runs at about 57-58c full benchmark stress load.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts