Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
The Computer Guy
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which CPU is better for FM2/FM2+ Athlon or A8/A10 series CPU's.
And I will be overclocking it,I'm swinging toward a Black Edition,Which comes as an Athlon.

·
Registered
972 Posts
the A8/A10 series have functional integrated GPUs, the Athlons have disabled integrated GPUs and thus are less expensive for the same frequency range. Otherwise they perform the same clock per clock.

·
The Computer Guy
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
No.2 in Gaming
1,936 Posts
would the 65w one be better at overclocking though?
845, 3.5ghz .

·
Registered
980 Posts
Whichever Athlon/APU part you consider, whatever the TDP, the choice - regardless of price or intention to use a discrete graphics card - between Athlon and APU is essentially about the performance and reliability of the CPU.

Over the last two years reports about badly performing or failing chips on the forum about the X4-860K and the A10-7850K have been more likely to be about the Athlon than the APU - as you would expect.

Of course, in a community bent on pushing these processors to their limits and beyond, failure reports are likely to be more numerous anyway, but for anyone building for several years of reliability the risk involved in cutting a 1/3 off the price isn't negligible.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPerforations View Post

would the 65w one be better at overclocking though?
845, 3.5ghz .
The 845 can't be overclocked to any real extent and continue to function properly.

• Rep+
Reactions: MrPerforations

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
If you have the option of a dGPU, you should probably just go 870k or 880k and call it a day.

edit: unless you love running SuperPi

·
The Computer Guy
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7850K View Post

Just make sure to update your BIOS to the version that adds Godavari support before you swap CPUs
I already have done this,Before I put Windows 10 on it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts