ASUS M4A79T Deluxe AM3 DDR3 AMD 790FX ATX

SAMSUNG T240HD Rose-Black 24" 5ms HDMI Widescreen HDTV Monitor
or
ASUS VW246H Black 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor or
or
LG W2453V-PF Black 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Full HD 1080P Widescreen LCD Monitor

I am putting it with a 955BE and
XFX HD-489A-ZDFC Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5

I will be overclocking, and RAIDing my HDDs. The Asus and LG have a quicker refresh rate, but I've always had a Smasung. Hope ti get it this weekend, so I appreciate the advice.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Personally I'd go with the ASUS mobo and the Samsung monitor.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally I was going with the Asus MoBo and the Samsung, but I am RAIDing 2 drives and have a third for mass storage. There are only 5 SATA ports so if I have a couple of DVD drives then that's it. But, I was told that the Asus OCs like nothing else.

I've always loved Samsung, but it has a 5ms refresh rate and I was told thats too slow for games. I was told the LG was good but it has bad comments about their automatic brightness control, so then I was told Asus.

I'm coming from an A7N8X mobo and a 191T Syncmaster, and I bought them when they were cutting edge. I know what ever I get it will be an improvement, I just want to get the best bang for the buck!

·
Premium Member
3,010 Posts
I'd go Asus and Asus combo.

The Samsung only has 10,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio and 5ms.

The Asus has 20,000:1 and 2ms. and full HD.

C.net has this to say:

Quote:
According to Samsung, the SyncMaster T240HD uses half the power of other displays by reducing the number of backlights and keeping them confined along the edges. Samsung says they compensate for the reduced backlights by focusing the light that is there and increasing the overall efficiency of the display. Samsung may not have compensated enough. They claim a maximum brightness of 300 candelas per square meter (cd/M2). The maximum brightness of the display, according to our tests, was 217cd/M2. This is a lot lower than the 434cd/M2 tested brightness of the HP w2408h True Color Widescreen and 452cd/M2 of the Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP. One of the benefits of the Samsung's lower brightness is that the screen showed less backlight bleed through than either the Dell or the HP. If you're in a room that gets tons of sunlight, however, you may consider the low brightness a potential deal breaker.
Specs wise the LG wins , it looks beautiful on paper but yeh if that brightness control problem you mentioned is true,then I would also be cautious.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.