Overclock.net banner

Which Laptop for Linux

1065 9
I have an uncle that doesn't want to spend much money but wants to get a new laptop and have me install Linux Mint on it. Which has more compatibility AMD or Intel? He just surfs the web and watches Youtube mostly. What are some suggestions?
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Politically incorrect
9,226 Posts
Any laptop will do. Even a 4W Intel Atom APU such as the 3735 would be fine for his needs, so get whatever is in his price range.

My five year old A8-6410 is perfect for Linux, it performs much better under Linux than Windows but I have to use Windows as Vegas Pro is problematic in Linux (rendering is much, much slower than Windows).

Edit: I would recommend looking into a laptop like mine. Older CPU's/APU's still perform perfectly fine for surfing the internet and watching films. If the latop is a desktop replacement you should just get him a cheap PC. Anything like a cheap 2200G with 8GB RAM and a small HD will do just fine. If it does have to be a laptop as it needs to be portable then an older machine will be more than enough.

• Rep+
Reactions: hucklebuck

· Politically incorrect
9,226 Posts
Thanks everybody. He got a Dell with an i5. I have heard that currently intel is better to go with for linux?
That hasn't been true for 10 years. Linux runs perfectly on AMD as well.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.