Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a laptop to watch movies and stream from the web. Got some movies that are 1080P and also like to watch stuff on youtube that's at least 720P.

Edit: seems these two aren't as great as I first thought. Found this at my local Frys yesterday for $562+tax, TOSHIBA A505-S6020, what do you guys think?

The SONY VAIO E Series VPCEE23FX/BI http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834127153

Or

The Lenovo ThinkPad Edge 0199-23U http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...861&CatId=4938

Budget is around $500, but if the Sony is a better buy, willing to pay the extra $50.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
Between the two, I'd get the Sony on Newegg.

I'll see if I can find a better laptop for ya though.

What will you be needing it for? School, gaming, etc...?

• Rep+
Reactions: corinn

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's just for daily using downstairs in our living room. PCs are upstairs, so would be nice to be able to watch stuff saved on the PC downstairs while the PS3 is being used.

So to surf the web, watch YouTube, and watch HD videos. No gaming since I do that on my PC or PS3.

Just really need something that can handle HD play back without lag. Was hoping a Netbook would do, but it's not powerful enough.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I'm a big fan of Thinkpad Edge, but displays are their weak point and the budget-end Edge is pretty poor; so for your use I'd go with the Sony. 1366x768 is pretty bad for a 15.6" monitor though. I think if you shopped around you could do better.

You could get a really nice deal picking up a Dell Studio from their outlet. The link may not come back with results because they remove them on the fly as theyre sold, so just navigate around to the Studio 15 (a good size imo for video if you dont need portability). http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineS...666&l=en&s=dfh

That link currently shows a Studio 15 with a T6400 (fine for vid) for $539. 1920x1080 resolution and the studio displays are excellent. The Dell outlet is respectable, and even offers the same warranty options as new, and the same 21 day return policy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Otterclock, thanks for the link . They look pretty nice. Is this the one you saw? http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineS...=22&l=en&s=dfh.

I notice most laptops in the $500-$1k range are 1366x768. Is it really that bad? Won't be using this laptop to watch Movies (DVD or Blu-ray).

Anything new at 1920x1080 cost $1k or more, so that's way out of my budget.

Also, how is the GMA 4500MHD vs 256MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570?

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
The link you posted is already gone. Each link literally refers to an individual item in their inventory, so when it sells they remove it. Even searching the listings can be frustrating because you hit the back button and poof, gone. There's no shortage of them, though. My recommendation (if you decide to go that route), is to decide on the price level/specs you are looking for, and when you're ready to buy, find one that meets the criteria, toss it in your cart and snatch it up.

I personally wouldn't want 1366x768 on anything bigger than 14", maybe 15". It varies from model to model, though, and Dells usually get decent performance out of their displays at any size.

The Radeon is substantially more powerful than the GMA, which is integrated graphics as opposed to the discrete ATI. Would it matter? Unless you're gaming or rendering/editing video, probably not. It's also gonna use more power and possibly generate more heat. I'd almost recommend outright avoiding one for your usage. A discrete card can unload a little work from the CPU for things like the Aero windows graphic interface, speeding things up a tad, but most casual use is gonna be handled by the cpu (including playing video).

You're right about 1920x1080 usually being pricey, which is why the Dell Studio refurb (often just a returned unwanted item) I thought was a good deal. You'd likely be happy with lower resolution, just avoid ever looking at one with higher lol. Dell Outlet is the only outlet I know of that offers essentially the same service as buying new.

P.S. if you Google around, you can sometimes find a 20% off coupon code for the outlet. Do a search for "Dell outlet coupons". I saw some today for 20-25% off the Lattitudes, which are also plenty nice, and that discount is great. I actually put one in my shopping cart to try out the coupon code and it worked.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lots of helpful information. Thank you!

You might have missed the edit up top. What do you think of this TOSHIBA A505-S6020? It's on "sale" for $562+tax at the local Frys.

Should be more clear on what it's for. It's actually for my girlfriend to watch her anime and YouTube when I use the PS3 downstairs. So I guess I won't really need anything that can handle anything greater than 720p. Since we use the PS3 to watch all of our movies.

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by corinn
View Post

You might have missed the edit up top. What do you think of this TOSHIBA A505-S6020? It's on "sale" for $562+tax at the local Frys.

Should be more clear on what it's for. It's actually for my girlfriend to watch her anime and YouTube when I use the PS3 downstairs. So I guess I won't really need anything that can handle anything greater than 720p. Since we use the PS3 to watch all of our movies.

If you can get it on sale, then I'd get it.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by corinn View Post

That Toshiba would be plenty fine, and then some. Should do 1080p without a problem, too. Toshibas usually give pretty good bang for the buck, and have a decent reputation all around. I don't like the cheapish plastic they use on some of their models, but that's really a non-issue for casual use. Sorry for delayed response. Weekend n' such.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts