Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently know nada about Linux. I will get my terminology wrong in this post, I know this. But I really want to learn the platform.

What is the best "type" of Linux to download in order to start? Best meaning most user-friendly, idiot-proof, etc. I do know a lot about computers, just nothing about Linux (if that is possible).

I plan on running this along with Windows 7. That is a second thing I need to learn (the dual os), but I need to start with the first thing. Which is, whether to get unbutu, etc.

I realize that this might be an oversimplified question for a complex issue, but I figure that I have to start somewhere.

Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Guitar + Amp = Happiness
3,704 Posts
Ubuntu is fairly simple(for Linux
). But I like PCLinuxOS, I think its easier to use.

·
Premium Member
14,339 Posts
The common word for 'type' of Linux is distribution or distro for short. My favorites distros that seem to work the best out of the box are Ubuntu, Mint (based on Ubuntu with more extras), Fedora, and OpenSUSE. You can check out http://www.distrowatch.com for a huge list of distros and their popularity on the right.

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
Fedora, of course.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I would say download wubi its a windows based app that lets you install ubuntu like any other program but it lets you boot into ubuntu after the install kind of like a dual boot but it doesnt require that you resize partitions or any of that good way to test it to get a real feel for it regular version of ubuntu with gnome is pretty awsome I think http://wubi-installer.org/

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
People would say Ubuntu, but Linux isn't that hard for people to get into. Go for OpenSUSE. Distributions aren't that different from each other in difficulty, but some are more work than others.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Ubuntu, large support fourms so if you have any problems there is a chance that some one has similar problems/solutions

·
Premium Member
10,850 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Megaman_90 View Post
Ubuntu is fairly simple(for Linux
). But I like PCLinuxOS, I think its easier to use.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
I'm going to have to cast my vote in for Ubuntu as well, although I like the Xubuntu variant with the XFCE desktop better. The support forums are almost critical for a beginner to get through the day when stuff starts happening, and ubuntu's support forums are the largest.

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
On second thought, maybe you should use Ubuntu.

I also recommend you read most of the links in my sig.

·
Premium Member
4,062 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by error10 View Post
Fedora, of course.

Ah a RPM fanboy
. I too love RPM distros. I'm using cent right now since I have to use my server until XFX sends me a new mobo, and I duel boot Fedora and 7 on my main rig.

I too would reccomend Fedora.

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Ubuntu, or any Ubuntu based OS, like Mint for example. I think the transition from windows would be easiest with Mint, as they are set up fairly similar. Installation on Ubuntu types are by far the easiest. Not that too many of them are hard, but honestly, lets face it... ubuntu has that install eased into "even a caveman can do it". Again, I recommended Mint!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts