Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after my PG278Q died
i wanted to get the 24GM77-B but now im thinking maybe i should consider other options like
Ultrawide / 4K / 2.5k And maybe i dont MUST HAVE 144hz monitor at all

main games i want to play on max settings smooth are : Dota2/Killing Floor 2/ The Witcher 3 and such

these three websites are the main stores in my country so i can get only the models that in there:
http://en.ksp.co.il/
https://www.ivory.co.il/monitors.html
http://www.plonter.co.il/mainpage3.tmpl?category=1006&catwas=1006&cart=145114530049320149&lang=heb

i dont mind going back to 1080p because i know i can run any game max settings easy
but im not sure how my rig will handel bigger resulotions

would love to hear your opnions because im not a competetive gamer any more and i dont see my self soon
i like spend hours in games like TheWitcher 3 and i want them to be MAX SETTINGS to look the best as possible and ofcurse i dont want any fps drops that will ruin my expreience
i also cant afford another GPU so thats out of the way :<

thanks

·
I took this profile pic
3,964 Posts
I can't tell what monitor you're looking at because those links don't lead to a specific monitor so I really can't make a recommendation. There are so many different options out there that I would feel wrong making a specific recommendation. But here's something to help you make the decision.

When buying a monitor there are some things you need to ask.

1) What's your price range

2) IPS or TN panel? TN is marginally better for ultra fast framerates and fast response time, whereas IPS is much better for image quality. The 144Hz monitor you mentioned I can almost guarantee it's a TN panel, so it will have faster framerates, but color quality will suffer a bit. Most 4K monitors are TN panels if I'm not mistaken, if so someone can correct me. I haven't been reading up too much on 4K lately.

3) Size?

4) Primary use.

For me, my primary use is both photo editing and gaming. That being said, I have to use IPS because photo editing is not workable on TN panels. You need IPS if you want rich color saturation and good reproduction of color. For a game like The Witcher 3, I think image quality is more important than framerate. The Witcher 3 has such good graphics that I would hate to view it on anything less than a nice IPS monitor.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thready View Post

I can't tell what monitor you're looking at because those links don't lead to a specific monitor so I really can't make a recommendation. There are so many different options out there that I would feel wrong making a specific recommendation. But here's something to help you make the decision.

When buying a monitor there are some things you need to ask.

1) What's your price range

2) IPS or TN panel? TN is marginally better for ultra fast framerates and fast response time, whereas IPS is much better for image quality. The 144Hz monitor you mentioned I can almost guarantee it's a TN panel, so it will have faster framerates, but color quality will suffer a bit. Most 4K monitors are TN panels if I'm not mistaken, if so someone can correct me. I haven't been reading up too much on 4K lately.

3) Size?

4) Primary use.

For me, my primary use is both photo editing and gaming. That being said, I have to use IPS because photo editing is not workable on TN panels. You need IPS if you want rich color saturation and good reproduction of color. For a game like The Witcher 3, I think image quality is more important than framerate. The Witcher 3 has such good graphics that I would hate to view it on anything less than a nice IPS monitor.
hey
thanks for the info..
the thing is that im so lost about which monitor to pick and which one is better in that catagory
there are so many options and after my pg278q failed i told to my self that the safe way would be going back to 24 1080p panels and stick with it
but many people tells that they enjoy 4k/1440p/IPS much more so i was thinking maybe i need to try something diffrent this time

·
I took this profile pic
3,964 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nircc View Post

hey
thanks for the info..
the thing is that im so lost about which monitor to pick and which one is better in that catagory
there are so many options and after my pg278q failed i told to my self that the safe way would be going back to 24 1080p panels and stick with it
but many people tells that they enjoy 4k/1440p/IPS much more so i was thinking maybe i need to try something diffrent this time

no idea what to do yet :<
I'm not trying to scare you away from 4K but honestly, I would wait a year before investing in 4K because you need a really beast graphics card to run anything at 4K. You need a 980 or higher to get the same fluid gameplay on 4K that you get on 1080p. And there are a lot of cheap 4K monitors out there that use cheap panel technology and a good 1080p monitor looks much better than a cheap 4K monitor.

A good IPS 4K monitor is going to set you back about $500. And then you need to spend about $500 or more on a graphics card that can run it. Plus Windows 7 scales horribly on 4K. All the icons are small. Plus most games aren't even optimized to run at 4K

That's just my opinion on 4K right now. In a year from now 4K will be much better and cheaper and I will probably recommend a 4K monitor. But it's still new technology and if you want to get the same quality framerates out of it, you're looking at spending $1000 just to upgrade everything. Sure if you have the money, then a 4K IPS display is the way to go. But I have a hard time recommending such expensive new technology to people because I know in a year it's all going to be much cheaper and better quality.

Now I could be wrong about all this but this is just how I feel about people buying a 4K monitor. I personally feel it's a good idea to wait for it. And if someone else has a better experience with 4K and they know more than me then by all means go with them.

·
Registered
783 Posts
With a single 980ti I would stay away from 4k. I bounce from 53-60FPS(in TW3) with two 980Ti's at 4k with everything "all the way over" except for hairworks AA at x4. Also both cards are at 1500 core/8000 mem.

Since I don't think you ever answered the budget question I am going to have to make recommendations in the higher end.

Grab a 1440p IPS 144hz/165hzGsync panel and call it a day.
Could go 3440x1440 ultrawide but with one 980ti you may have to lower a few settings in certain games.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

I'm not trying to scare you away from 4K but honestly, I would wait a year before investing in 4K because you need a really beast graphics card to run anything at 4K. You need a 980 or higher to get the same fluid gameplay on 4K that you get on 1080p. And there are a lot of cheap 4K monitors out there that use cheap panel technology and a good 1080p monitor looks much better than a cheap 4K monitor.

A good IPS 4K monitor is going to set you back about $500. And then you need to spend about $500 or more on a graphics card that can run it. Plus Windows 7 scales horribly on 4K. All the icons are small. Plus most games aren't even optimized to run at 4K

That's just my opinion on 4K right now. In a year from now 4K will be much better and cheaper and I will probably recommend a 4K monitor. But it's still new technology and if you want to get the same quality framerates out of it, you're looking at spending $1000 just to upgrade everything. Sure if you have the money, then a 4K IPS display is the way to go. But I have a hard time recommending such expensive new technology to people because I know in a year it's all going to be much cheaper and better quality.

Now I could be wrong about all this but this is just how I feel about people buying a 4K monitor. I personally feel it's a good idea to wait for it. And if someone else has a better experience with 4K and they know more than me then by all means go with them.
sounds good .
i got a 980ti but i think ill wait more time b4 i upgrade to 4k
what you consider a "good" 1080p monitor ?
i planned to get the 24gm77-b but its out of stock now.

i know there are many other 1080p monitors . some are 27 and not 24
some IPS some VA / some got 60hz and some 144hz

not sure which one would be best for my needs

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzy View Post

With a single 980ti I would stay away from 4k. I bounce from 53-60FPS(in TW3) with two 980Ti's at 4k with everything "all the way over" except for hairworks AA at x4. Also both cards are at 1500 core/8000 mem.

Since I don't think you ever answered the budget question I am going to have to make recommendations in the higher end.

Grab a 1440p IPS 144hz/165hzGsync panel and call it a day.
Could go 3440x1440 ultrawide but with one 980ti you may have to lower a few settings in certain games.
hey sadly beside the PG278Q there are no other 1440P IPS 144HZ monitors available in my country
and i wont buy any ASUS product again.

do you see any other options that can be good as well ?

·
I took this profile pic
3,964 Posts
Quote:

sounds good .
i got a 980ti but i think ill wait more time b4 i upgrade to 4k
what you consider a "good" 1080p monitor ?
i planned to get the 24gm77-b but its out of stock now.

i know there are many other 1080p monitors . some are 27 and not 24
some IPS some VA / some got 60hz and some 144hz

not sure which one would be best for my needs
The thing is that I can't recommend a specific monitor because your needs are different than mine and I don't want to recommend something that might not be good for you. I would just stick with 1080p. Also when buying a monitor, don't pay attention to things the manufacturer mentions like contrast ratio because there's really no standard to that and if you spend the money on a good brand name monitor then you're going to get good contrast ratio. Also read a lot of reviews online before buying. I personally use Viewsonic but BenQ and Asus are also good brands. I know you said you're staying away from Asus, so maybe check out some BenQ monitors in the 1080p IPS range.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Acer Predator XB271HU (1440, IPS, 144Hz, G-Sync v2)

or what i ordered 3 days ago:

Acer Predator XB271HK (4K, IPS, 60Hz, G-Sync v2)

Mainly for KF2 and randomly Assetto Corsa + Dirt Rally. On KF2 i hope that High settings, or Ultra (Reflections: disabled, maybe HBAO+ also disabled) i have 50-60fps. GSync helps when it goes under 60. I also have GTX770 for physics (PhysX Flex) on KF2.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiikeri View Post

Acer Predator XB271HU (1440, IPS, 144Hz, G-Sync v2)

or what i ordered 3 days ago:

Acer Predator XB271HK (4K, IPS, 60Hz, G-Sync v2)

Mainly for KF2 and randomly Assetto Corsa + Dirt Rally. On KF2 i hope that High settings, or Ultra (Reflections: disabled, maybe HBAO+ also disabled) i have 50-60fps. GSync helps when it goes under 60. I also have GTX770 for physics (PhysX Flex) on KF2.
sadly these not available in my country but they might be in the few next months.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

The thing is that I can't recommend a specific monitor because your needs are different than mine and I don't want to recommend something that might not be good for you. I would just stick with 1080p. Also when buying a monitor, don't pay attention to things the manufacturer mentions like contrast ratio because there's really no standard to that and if you spend the money on a good brand name monitor then you're going to get good contrast ratio. Also read a lot of reviews online before buying. I personally use Viewsonic but BenQ and Asus are also good brands. I know you said you're staying away from Asus, so maybe check out some BenQ monitors in the 1080p IPS range.
are there any 1080p ips fromn benq at all :O ?
does it worth to go 1080p IPS compared to TN for my needs and main games that i play?

the lg 24gm77-b suppose to have amazing colors for tn but not good as IPS
but if i got IPS 1080P its probably means 60hz and not 144hz like the LG

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCGamer4Ever View Post

Look for a good 34" or even 29" ultrawide, total experience changer when it comes to RPG play.

Also reference this post before choosing a resolution, there is a lot more to it than bigger is better.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1517133/official-fallout-4-information-and-discussion-thread/3380#post_24736872
ultrawide monitors are an option as well
but it seems that 4K would be a waste right now

im also trying to find which 1080ips is the best for gaming.

still looking and reading all over trying to get more answers

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Look for a good 34" or even 29" ultrawide, total experience changer when it comes to RPG play.

Also reference this post before choosing a resolution, there is a lot more to it than bigger is better.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1517133/official-fallout-4-information-and-discussion-thread/3380#post_24736872
holyyy
i just saw a random video of one of the Ultrawides LG monitors
dammm that looks like an epic experience for games like FO4/TW3
but does my rig able to handel those games when it comes to ULTRAWIDE?

do you know of any Ultrawide IPS monitors that are considered great for gaming?>

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LG 29EA73-P
Samsung LED WFHD S29E790C
Dell IPS UltraSharp U2913WM

3 monitors that i can afford in terms of price

34inch seems too expansive and also dont 34' would be too big for a pc monitor ?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Quote:

LG 29EA73-P
Samsung LED WFHD S29E790C
Dell IPS UltraSharp U2913WM

3 monitors that i can afford in terms of price

34inch seems too expansive and also dont 34' would be too big for a pc monitor ?
The Samsung is the most interesting looking choice to me. I am not sure how effective the curve will be since the monitor is a bit smaller. At 34" I really like the curve, never played with one at 29". A plus for it is a VA Panel. These seem to have a bit better blacks than TNs and a lot less glow to them on dark screens.

If I was personally choosing these I would first want to see them. If I could not see them and the pricing was close I would take the chance on the Samsung. If however you want a more known quantity the Dell is a great monitor.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

The Samsung is the most interesting looking choice to me. I am not sure how effective the curve will be since the monitor is a bit smaller. At 34" I really like the curve, never played with one at 29". A plus for it is a VA Panel. These seem to have a bit better blacks than TNs and a lot less glow to them on dark screens.

If I was personally choosing these I would first want to see them. If I could not see them and the pricing was close I would take the chance on the Samsung. If however you want a more known quantity the Dell is a great monitor.
34 is too expansive but tomorrow ill ask my brother to tell me which ultrawides monitors he can order at the store he work
anyway it seems that 34 is just too big to put on my desk and sit close to it
thats another reason combined with high price tag

i think 29 21:9 2560 1080 would be amazing
i just hope my rig can handel tw3

·
Registered
165 Posts
Quote:

34 is too expansive but tomorrow ill ask my brother to tell me which ultrawides monitors he can order at the store he work
anyway it seems that 34 is just too big to put on my desk and sit close to it
thats another reason combined with high price tag

i think 29 21:9 2560 1080 would be amazing
i just hope my rig can handel tw3
Understood on the pricing. If your rig can handle 1080P then it should do okay with 2560x1080. I have run on a 380 and the card blasted through games.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

Understood on the pricing. If your rig can handle 1080P then it should do okay with 2560x1080. I have run on a 380 and the card blasted through games.
cool
ill check tomorrow if there are any other models and ill update
ill also want to ask some stores about seeing the monitors b4 buying

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:

Hey m8 i just saw amazon can ship to me
the LG 29UM67-P
its Ultrawide 29' ,2560 x1080 and IPS
its also got FREESYNC - now here the good part.
im using nvidia card but if i use the monitor with DP and enable FREESYNC in the Monitor Menu i can set the Refresh rate to 75HZ
i wont have the "gsync/freesync" bonus but it will be true 75HZ instead 60hz

seems like an amazing monitor

what do you think !?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts