Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SOLVED!

Decided on this. As mentioned in the last post, although from the source I've just linked, as it was a few quid cheaper.

Hello folks, I'm looking to get a new monitor from here. I get free shipping there.

EDIT: I didn't qualify for free shipping this month, so it can be from any decent UK retailer!

I'm not 100% what to compare when buying a monitor, so I am seeking your help!

Here's my criteria:

- 22-24"
- 1080p +
- Widescreen
- Under £130
- Make sure you read the price INC. VAT (Value Added Tax)

Reps for those who give a good reason for the choices, just so I know you know what you are talking about.

Do monitors normally come with the cables, as I'd prefer a DVI, but don't have the cable currently.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
659 Posts
I don't know anything about monitors, but please don't impulse buy,
wait some time to get some input, you'll have no regrets.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by garricktlee View Post
I don't know anything about monitors, but please don't impulse buy,
wait some time to get some input, you'll have no regrets.
I know I should, except this monitor is quickly dieing, and I struggle to get it to come on properly in the mornings, and it's showing the wrong res etc, despite the settings. Not to mention the back light bleed and "glowing" patches"

It's quite critical I get one

·
Premium Member
8,479 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dom_sufc
View Post

I have it down to these 3, what do you guys think? Or something completely different?

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Displ...roductId=38202

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Displ...roductId=39463

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Displ...roductId=37241

This.

Samsung make great monitors, much better than the other two there.

That's a bloody good deal...

Only trouble is... that doesn't have a digital input, which I feel is pretty much a "must have" with monitors these days. :\\

The Aria 23" has DVI input, though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cygnus
View Post

ASUS VW246H Glossy Black 24" 2ms
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824236049

$229.99 US. Not sure what that is converted. Maybe too much, but you will be happy with it.

Why suggest a monitor that is way way, way too much money and from a company that doesn't even ship to the UK...?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by meticadpa
View Post

This.

Why suggest a monitor that is way way, way too much money and from a company that doesn't even ship to the UK...?

Like I said in my post, I dont know how much that is converted, and the site was for reference so he can see all the specs. Seeing as how I live in the US, I dont really care who ships outside of it.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by meticadpa
View Post

This.

Samsung make great monitors, much better than the other two there.

That's a bloody good deal...

Only trouble is... that doesn't have a digital input, which I feel is pretty much a "must have" with monitors these days. :\\

The Aria 23" has DVI input, though.

Such a tough choice.

I did read up on DVI vs VGA. While the answer is obvious, it does seem that alot of people say they can't notice much or any difference, and that it shouldn't be worried about too much.

I wonder how good the Aria 23" actually is. The Contrast Ratio seems low, however most of these descriptions don't show the "consistent" spec anyway. Apparently the Contrast Ratio can differ on the screen, and often the specs will show the highest recorded, not the average.

I found some specs for my current monitor, and it says that it has 800:1 CR, so I can't do too much worse than that I suppose ;D

I am quite happy with my monitor quality as it is now, although I haven't compared to something better of course. I may be content just even with the bump in res (Current: 1440x900), and I'm pretty sure all of these monitors will beat the other specs of this Advent X19W I have.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cygnus
View Post

Like I said in my post, I dont know how much that is converted, and the site was for reference so he can see all the specs. Seeing as how I live in the US, I dont really care who ships outside of it.

I appreciate the input, although I did ask it be from Aria.net, because I get free shipping, and they do actually have great prices. It does turn out though, that I didn't qualify for the free shipping this month anyway, so it can be from any reputable UK retailer (updating first post...).

Funnily enough though, I found this link:

http://aceproshop.com/index.php?disp...roduct_id=2830

Is this too good to be true?

·
Premium Member
8,479 Posts
That appears to be very, very too good to be true. :\\

As for Digital vs. Analogue, there's a huge difference for me, especially when reading text. DVI is just so much sharper.

The Aria monitor shouldn't be too bad, if you're not a connoisseur of image quality, and I'd probably take it over the Samsung because of its bigger size and its Digital input.

Moving from 1440 x 900 to 1920 x 1080 will be a huge difference. It was for me when I went from 1360 x 768 to 1920 x 1200, I was amazed that things could be so... awesome.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dom_sufc
View Post

Very good contender there... +rep for the good suggestion!

I'm going to get this one. DVI, good quality brand, 2ms Response Time... I was about to go for the Arianet 23" for it's cheap price and DVI, but I think I'll sacrifice an inch size and go for quality (gigidy). Not to mention, it does look fantastic, whereas the Arianet brand looks a bit tacky, and it IS going to be the most prominent feature of my computer, aside from the case.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts