Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on my new computer build... I'll be ordering the parts either today or tomorrow and I'm struggling with which motherboard to get (with Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 processor)...

ASUS P5N-E

or

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R

They're both right around the same price... so thats not an issue

Also if you have another Mobo you suggest other than those, around the same price...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Just a N00B
View Post

What do u plan to do with it?

Plan on gaming with it... want to try out OC'ing too since i've never quite tried that before...

Also, does the p35 support DDR3? I heard that it does somewhere....

·
Nobody
6,466 Posts
  • Rep+
Reactions: P3rsian

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by rx7racer
View Post

the P35 does support DDR3 and gigabyte has a board that has both DDR2 and DDR3 on it for an easy transition, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128048

from what i've read the Gigabytes based off of the P35 chipset is doing well

and the GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R is included is that when you say its supported? where did you find that? or is this from experience?

·
Nobody
6,466 Posts
Gigabyte has the GA-P35-DS3R which is DDR2 ONLY and then they have the GA-P35C-DS3R that has both DDR2 and DDR3 slots, they use different pin count placement so they are not innerchangeable.

• Rep+

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok... so throwing DDR3 compatibility to the wind...

Which Mobo would you suggest? (out of the 2 i said or the one you posted)

·
Nobody
6,466 Posts
well I would prob. go with the Gigabyte, it's a good stable board and can definately oc very well from what i've heard. But if you want to go SLI then go with the P5N, if you look around the forum there are many with the nvidia chipset that are doing awesome but there are also many problems that seem to plague the nvidia chipset but i think mainly the 680i, and most are worked out now though.

• Rep+

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
I am leaning towards the Gigabyte because of the DDR2/DDR3 computability. I am also going to try OCing for my first time on this new computer. I am getting jealous with the new X38 boards coming out soon (unannounced). These two boards both have their pros/cons. Gigabyte has the future upgrade ability I'm looking for.

·
Banned
6,776 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by P3rsian
View Post

Working on my new computer build... I'll be ordering the parts either today or tomorrow and I'm struggling with which motherboard to get (with Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 processor)...

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R

You shouldn't be struggling with the right and obvious choice for overclocking an E6600.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts