Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hear ye hear ye!

I'm gonna get a new TV soon, which will mostly be used for my Xbox 360, watching tv(duh), watcing movies and maybe I'll hook up my rig to it some time. I've already settled on two alternatives, these:

LG 42LH4000

I couldn't really find a decent English website for you guys, but I translated a Norwegian one with google, hope it works: Samsung LE40B535

Now, at first glance, the LG seems the avbious choice, since it's two inches bigger and has 100hz vs. 50hz. But in this test, they found out the contrast is supposed to fail.

Quote:

The contrast ratio is quoted at 80,000:1, but the reality is different.

Our Tech Labs measured real world contrast at less than 500:1.

So which one should I get? Feel free to suggest other TV's, but it can't be more than around 1000$, and keep in mind that I live in Norway, so Newegg for example is not an option.

/Redhead out

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamtheonlystevo
View Post

I would spring for the Samsung before the LG, but see if you can find a Sharp Aquos, they're spectacular!

Thanks for replying! I found one of those Sharp's, but they were way too expensive. I don't really know what they cost in the US, but the 40" was around 8000 Norwegian Kroner (1400 USD), my limit is about 6000 (1000 USD)

But why Samsung?

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
The samsung would be my choice. Refresh rate won't really matter for gaming since it doesn't have any impact on response time.

Contrast is one of the most important factors in image quality. Giving up 2 inches isn't ideal, but I'd say it's worth it for contrast.

If you can link an online store which is available to you, I can look and see if anything is better in your price range.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Varjo
View Post

The samsung would be my choice. Refresh rate won't really matter for gaming since it doesn't have any impact on response time.

Contrast is one of the most important factors in image quality. Giving up 2 inches isn't ideal, but I'd say it's worth it for contrast.

If you can link an online store which is available to you, I can look and see if anything is better in your price range.

Guess I could link you some, but that's gonna be ghetto translated by google, if that's ok with you

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Panasonic VIERA 42" 1080p 600Hz Plasma HDTV TC-P42G10

not sure if it's available for your country or not, but it's about $900 in the US. And Panasonic Plasma is really really good, the only thing can beat it is Pioneer. (I have seen the G10 in person, picture quality is GREAT!)

EDIT: nvm I found the European model of G10 which is P42G10E, but it's about 7500 Norwegian Kroner according to the website you posted.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, thanks for posting anyways! I'm kinda leaning towards the LG. I mean, how bad can the contrast really be? Think I'm gonna check out one of the local electronics stores and see if they have it there, ask questions etc. Though, I know it might look good in the store and suck when you get home, and the electronics shop guys aren't always experts

·
I might have tacos tonite
22,339 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redhead
View Post

Ok, thanks for posting anyways! I'm kinda leaning towards the LG. I mean, how bad can the contrast really be? Think I'm gonna check out one of the local electronics stores and see if they have it there, ask questions etc. Though, I know it might look good in the store and suck when you get home, and the electronics shop guys aren't always experts

It'll look the same at home as in store, they just spent some time calibrating it, so you will have to also.

·
Registered
111 Posts
i bought an 37" LG 37LH30 recently and have no complaints. im using it mostly for just computer gaming/desktop use. contrast is good, colors are decent, i do get a slight red and blue push on certain color combinations...such as red or blue text over a grey or black background.

the 42LH40 adds some processing for the perceived higher "refresh rate" so if you use this feature it will add some lag to the display.

i would love to have this tv professionally calibrated to see what it can really do, but i cant afford the equipment or service right now.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmm, if contrast is good on your TV then it makes no sense that it should be equal or worse on a higher ranged model
Maybe that one test was a little off? And I really want 100hz because I love when movement looks really "life like" as I've noticed on some of my buddies TV's. Keep in mind I'm not only gonna use it for gaming. I really enjoy watching movies with friends

EDIT: Found another test that rated this TV 8/10 and 9/10 in value. Only thing complaints about the contrast was the black levels were a little off in very dark scenes. Honestly, I don't see how I can go wrong with this one over the Samsung.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got the LG now, it looks freaking amazing! 100hz is awesome and full hd looks great! The only thing that's not perfect about it that I can think off is the Black level doesen't look completely black, but you don't really notice that. Me recommends!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts