·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Intel Pentium III 933MHz<br>
256MB <b>R</b>DRAM<br><br>
Intel Pentium III 866MHz<br>
384MB SDRAM<br><br>
My parents want me to get one of these old computers working so they can have another system to browse the web with. I can't put the 933MHz processor in another computer because the voltages aren't adjustable since they're Dells and the 933MHz one uses a way lower voltage than the other system, which was designed to be used with a 733.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Go with the 933mhz.SDRAM can only transfer up to 100mhz max while the RDRAM is capable of up to 800mhz transfer rate.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
is the P3 a dell optiplex 200 by chance? I would say go with that, because I have one, used to browse the itnernet, while I did stuff to my main computer. It was a reasonable speed.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I would have to second the rdram. But i have two pent. 3's with 128mb sdram with xp on them and they run great so both should surf the net just fine.<br>
but if you could get more sdram i would go with that.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
only thing is that RDRAM is more expensive if he would want to add more ram, for whatever reason.

·
Registered
713 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>elmokills</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">I would have to second the rdram. But i have two pent. 3's with 128mb sdram with xp on them and they run great so both should surf the net just fine.<br>
but if you could get more sdram i would go with that.</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
I've actually got an old 533MHZ celeron with XP installed and 320mb SDRAM it's a bit slow but ok to surf with if you have some patience. Just keep any unnecessary programs closed so you dont have a bunch of backround programs eating away at your memory.

·
Old Timer
4,895 Posts
I also would say get the 933 w/ 256 MB RAM. From my experiance, odd amounts of RAM, such as 384 MB dont make much diferance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts