·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a dell studio 15..
intel core i3 processor
i have to download ubuntustudio.. its showing 2 options:
PC (Intel x86) alternate install DVD
For almost all PCs. This includes most machines with Intel/AMD/etc type processors and almost all computers that run Microsoft Windows, as well as newer Apple Macintosh systems based on Intel processors. Choose this if you are at all unsure.
64-bit PC (AMD64) alternate install DVD
Choose this to take full advantage of computers based on the AMD64 or EM64T architecture (e.g., Athlon64, Opteron, EM64T Xeon, Core 2). If you have a non-64-bit processor made by AMD, or if you need full support for 32-bit code, use 32 bit version

which one i have to download?

·
Premium Member
3,001 Posts
You can download either, as they will both work on your system. I would use the x64 edition mainly because it can run certain optimized apps faster, and especially if you have more than 4GB of ram, but it doesn't really matter which you pick.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by asokraju View Post
problem is it... x64 is not there
only x86 and amd64 are available
Not sure why they're naming it like that, but it's just naming standards. You'll download packages for i686 architechture no matter what you're running, as well as many other x86 architechtures. The 64 bit one is fine for you.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
AMD64 is the 64bit archatecture adopted by modern intel processors as opposed to itanium64. So in reality all modern proccessors that support 64bit are AMD64. Both will work just fine for you.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Seems everyone has answered your question and i also agree, use the 64bit.

One quick question, what is your OS.... 32 or 64bit?

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wallyworld96 View Post
Seems everyone has answered your question and i also agree, use the 64bit.

One quick question, what is your OS.... 32 or 64bit?
I don't think that really matters. Wubi would just go ahead and install the 64 for him. Ubuntu is not going to miss any ram unless you are running it at less that 1.5

·
Premium Member
29,532 Posts
If your system supports it, go with 64-bit (AMD64). 32-bit only supports 32-bit. 64-bit does both, plus the majority of all distributions ships with 64-bit programs rather than 32-bit programs for increase performance

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thankyou guys.. its really helpfull info..
one more thing is .. i want to learn multimedia.. whr do i have to start??
is it better to start with photoshop.. or flash or maya.. ? or is there any other i am missing here..

·
Premium Member
29,532 Posts
It depends on the type of multimedia you want to go. I don't know much about it, but if you want to go graphics, then GIMP is a good call on Linux. Photoshop has to be run through WINE.

·
Premium Member
29,532 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by asokraju
View Post

i think there is linux version of photoshop?

No, there's a Mac version and a Windows version. There are however Photoshop clones, such as GIMP which are native to Linux.

·
Premium Member
4,146 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by monogoat
View Post

EM64T is a special architecture that you don't have.

That is incorrect; EM64T is/was the name of Intel's implementation of 64-bit processing and is equivalent to AMD64.

The one you may have been thinking of, which is reserved for expensive, enterprise systems and which, indeed, TC would not have in a laptop, is IA64 or Itanium, also made by Intel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by asokraju
View Post

thankyou guys.. its really helpfull info..
one more thing is .. i want to learn multimedia.. whr do i have to start??
is it better to start with photoshop.. or flash or maya.. ? or is there any other i am missing here..

Multimedia is a very vague term these days, in that is encompasses a wide variety of technologies. I'm not saying you couldn't learn all of it if you wanted to... but you might want to focus on certain aspects according to your preferences and specialize in those.

Those three programs you mentioned are extremely different from one another. You can learn all three, but maybe only one or two would actually interest you. Their learning curves are also very different. Flash is a tool used mostly in web design. I'm sure you know what Flash is if you've visited any web site in the past 5+ years. Do you need to learn Flash to make a web site though? Not at all. And if Flash vanishes like I hope it does, then learning Flash would be a poor investment of your time. However there is no indication at this time that Flash will disappear, so just ignore what I said, which was more of a personal opinion

Photoshop is always a great tool to learn if you're interested in image editing, and can be applied to a lot more uses than just web design. Because Photoshop and Flash are now both Adobe products, they interact well with one another, and designing an aesthetically pleasing interface in Flash may require use of Photoshop. Something to consider.

Maya, finally, is a powerful, high-end 3D designing tool used in various industries, from aerospace to Hollywood but it's a whole different world from Photoshop... If you want to get into 3D designing, Maya may not be the best place to start, but it's something you'll want to learn for professional quality work.

·
Premium Member
29,532 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by evermooingcow View Post
Is x64 just a short form for x86-64?
Yes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@shub : ty dude
thanks for explaining me the diff between these two...
if possible i will learn .. by going to classes...
i want to learn maya.. could not download it can u help me...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts