Votes: 74 39.4%
  • i7 + motherboard/ram

Votes: 114 60.6%
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
$500 on i7 + motherboard/ram or spend $500 on GTX480 ? which one would be a better upgrade if you only had to choose one.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
i think you'd be more happy with the i7 stuff, but thats a hard choice. do you game more than just use your comp for random stuff. do you do a lot of encoding rendering?

what would YOU rather have, first off?

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
When I had my q6600 at stock clocks I know that it bottlenecked my GTX 285 quite a bit, but a 480 would probably be much worse. Your probably better off going with the CPU.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mostly gaming...I would love to have both but 500ish is my limit atm. what would you get if you had my setup ? gpu or cpu =)

·
lAptOp jUnKie
4,632 Posts
The gtx 470/480 will be around to buy. If you can get a great deal with the mobo & cpu, I recommend you go that route

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
Totally get the i7 setup. Why would u want to use the GTX480 with ur Q6600? Get the i7 set up because it will be a totally upgrade from ur current rig.

·
PC Evangelist
46,969 Posts
Q6600 will let you play all the games you want and with Fermi it will be win for games. If gaming is the most you do then Fermi it is.

·
semi-legit
7,980 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er
View Post

Q6600 will let you play all the games you want and with Fermi it will be win for games. If gaming is the most you do then Fermi it is.

This.

A Q6600 with a decent clock on it will be fine with a GTX 480 and give you the best immediate gaming performance of the two choices.

Side note: You may want to correct that 3x1 setup with your memory too

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Z Naught
View Post

When I had my q6600 at stock clocks I know that it bottlenecked my GTX 285 quite a bit, but a 480 would probably be much worse. Your probably better off going with the CPU.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ocnewb
View Post

Totally get the i7 setup. Why would u want to use the GTX480 with ur Q6600? Get the i7 set up because it will be a totally upgrade from ur current rig.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hey Zeus
View Post

I7 + 9800GTX+ > Q6600 + Fermi

Quote:

Originally Posted by pestypest
View Post

i7 hands down. I had a 8800GTX and gained close to 3k in vantage after I installed it on stock clocks. i7 do it noa!

Wow.
Why in the world would you guys say this nonsense? A 3.6Ghz quad is just fine for a shiny new Fermi card. Saying that an i7 paired with a 9800GTX is better than a 3.6ghz quad and a Fermi card is ridiculous.

Your quad is fine bro. Install that Fermi card and let it rock. Your quad is not bottlenecking your card.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkillzKillz
View Post

It really depends what you do. I think an OC'd q6600 will still last quite awhile longer and I would get the GTX 480 if you're into gaming.

Thank you for a well thought out post. A q6600 + Fermi is going to last much longer and give you a lot better gaming performance than an i7 + 9800GTX.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hey Zeus
View Post

I7 + 9800GTX+ > Q6600 + Fermi

lolwut

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanrenolds08
View Post

Wow.
Why in the world would you guys say this nonsense? A 3.6Ghz quad is just fine for a shiny new Fermi card. Saying that an i7 paired with a 9800GTX is better than a 3.6ghz quad and a Fermi card is ridiculous.

Your quad is fine bro. Install that Fermi card and let it rock. Your quad is not bottlenecking your card.

x2 In games upgrading your gpu will give you more of a boost than your cpu would. Also at the end of the day if a game is coded for pc correctly then number of cores should be more important than clock for clock efficiency.

If you really want to upgrade your cpu consider a Ph II x6 or a Lynnfield cpu and then get a 5850/5770 rather than a GTX480

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
Personally i would go the i7 route that's why i told him that. An i7 setup for now would be the best option, because the GTX480 or the 5800s will problably adjust the price a few months after the release. So that would be the best time to get it, not right at the release date.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
if you game like me i would get a new card. thats what im doing as well. the 9800gtx+ is a good card but lacks memory that is my main reason i want to upgrade to the gx480

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
I'd get the GTX 480.

Look at it like this

Scenario A:
You spend $500 on the GTX 480. There might be a slight bottle neck however you won't see it because it will be an improvement over your current cards to begin with. You are satisfied and the the amount of the bottle neck is not bothering you.

You spent $500.

Scenario B:
You get the CPU/Mobo/RAM for $500. You see an improvement, however it is not as drastic as you would have hoped for $500. You spend another $500 to get a GTX480 so you are more satisfied.

You spent $1000.

Would you rather spend $500 and be happy with slight bottle necking, one that you wont even see compared to your current rig, or would you rather spend $500 on a CPU/Mobo/RAM to have a bit of an improvement followed by spending another $500 on getting a more powerful card?

Save the $500 for an upgrade later on or to SLI the GTX480s.

·
Hold on to your butts!
3,213 Posts
You would see a bigger performance gain from getting the i7/mobo/ram then the new video card because you already have a nice gpu setup.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Look at like this.. 480 really going to be 500??? Look at nvidias past pricing and you got the answer.. But if you dont.. short answer is no. In the long run you will regret not getting the i7 setup because you will see that the fermi is just lightly better then a 5870. You will be mad that you have just a single card. The i7 is going to be here for a long time. It has been proven time and again that upgrade in itself is a huge improvement. Not only games, but in everyday computing. The bottom line is.. the i7 upgrade is much smarter investment then a 500++++ GPU (single item). I see in your sig that you are running SLI 9800GTX+ cards.. Those are still decent in that setup for most games out today. (most) the i7 all around will "speed" everything up. I am not a fanboy of nvidia or ati, and I can say that I like ATI better for the moment. I have had tri sli 285's. a 295, sli 260s (192) core. All in all The major upgrade I did from a all quad (q6600) was the best thing I would have done. I did that and never looked back.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kvjavs
View Post

I'd get the GTX 480.

Look at it like this

Scenario A:
You spend $500 on the GTX 480. There might be a slight bottle neck however you won't see it because it will be an improvement over your current cards to begin with. You are satisfied and the the amount of the bottle neck is not bothering you.

You spent $500.

Scenario B:
You get the CPU/Mobo/RAM for $500. You see an improvement, however it is not as drastic as you would have hoped for $500. You spend another $500 to get a GTX480 so you are more satisfied.

You spent $1000.

Would you rather spend $500 and be happy with slight bottle necking, one that you wont even see compared to your current rig, or would you rather spend $500 on a CPU/Mobo/RAM to have a bit of an improvement followed by spending another $500 on getting a more powerful card?

Save the $500 for an upgrade later on or to SLI the GTX480s.

Good point. However, improvement is improvement. I believe he will see a bigger improvement going to Fermi as well. But, such as myself, as long as the Q6600 is rocking for you, then have a go.

Right now, if presented with the same situtation (mind you I have a 5870) I would go the video card only route too. It's going to be a long ways off before my Processor is actually not going to be providing me the experience I want. Oh sure, I'll get better benchmarks, but I can get a Q9550 and get those too.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts