Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

A good friend is off to university soon, and she is looking to buy a netbook to take to the lectures for notes and things, so generally Microsoft Word usage, internet browsing etc.

She is taking her old laptop too for music and pictures and stuff, hence the netbook, so it can fit in a small bag etc.

The question she has though, is whether to get one with window7 or XP?

Its only £20 but I couldn't really list the benefits of a new OS on such a lightweight computer.

Would one hamper the battery life more than the other? Or eat the RAM?

Let me know guys, and I can advise her on a purchase

Thanks

·
Well, hello there...
4,499 Posts
XP Home. It runs faster and you can set the power profile to minimize battery usage with the power saving options. The Home version also has less services turned on by default.

·
I Am Gooble Gobble
6,669 Posts
windows 7 basic.
game over.
probably 12 hours battery life, and no extra baggage

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Windows 7! I installed Windows 7 Ultimate on my netbook after a week of using XP...I have to say its a huge difference.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I have windows 7 pro on a netbook with 2 gb of ram and a n270, and it runs fine. If you have anything better, It will most likely run fine for you too.

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
I cant imagine having windows 7 would be better than XP on such a limited computer but I have never tried it. All I can say is I have XP on my asus eee which has 1GB of ram and an Atom 1.66 ghz CPU. Putting windows seven on a computer with a 1.66ghz CPU sounds crazy to me, but maybe windows 7 can limit itself enough to run smoothly on a netbook.

If you get a dual core net book though then its probably fast enough. Just depends on how fast it is.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Windows 7 runs perfectly fine on any netbook that runs an Atom clocked above 1GHz and at least 1GB of RAM (so most, if not all of the ones you can buy on the market today).

I'm running Windows 7 Pro on my netbook, and I even get Aero running on it, and it's using Intel GMA 950 for graphics!

I've also ran Ubuntu Netbook Edition on my netbook, and it runs perfectly fine too. It comes with Open Office which works just like Microsoft Office. Ubuntu NE also has a better interface (in my opinion) for netbooks while Windows 7 doesn't. You could probably get a better interface going for Windows 7 if you replace the task bar with an auto hiding dock, but you lose the system tray. Trust me, I've tried...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts