Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I would go with Vista. I heard from a lot of people that XP x64 isn't very good and I don't like Windows 7 at all. Not as user friendly as Vista. I understand it is still Beta but I would like to be able to customize the Start Menu.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you were running 32 bit systems then I would have to recommend XP pro 32bit over the others, however as you already have vista ultimate x64 I don't think you are going to get a better 64bit windows until Windows 7 is actually released. Some people on overclock are running Windows 7 x64 beta, I've tried it but I found it was incompatible with too many peripherals and did bsod quite a bit.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Yeah, Vista or Linux. My friend just downloaded/installed Windows 7..it put him on like a infinite loop of restarts...he absolutely hated it. WinXP: I have another friend who uses winxp professional(both in my CoD4clan) he said he doesn't have any compatibility problems. Everything works just fine. So eh...whichever one is cheaper. :-/ I personally say just go with Vista.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alphafalafel View Post
If you were running 32 bit systems then I would have to recommend XP pro 32bit over the others, however as you already have vista ultimate x64 I don't think you are going to get a better 64bit windows until Windows 7 is actually released. Some people on overclock are running Windows 7 x64 beta, I've tried it but I found it was incompatible with too many peripherals and did bsod quite a bit.
I concur.

I'm gonna say +1 for windows 7 when it releases. I still use my old 32bit xp best windows OS I've used to date (excluding w7 since it's still beta). Just wait for the release of 7 and try it out.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
I'd go with 64 bit Vista Home Premium or Ultimate.

Ignore any Vista haters, Vista is a smooth operating system

·
Registered
244 Posts
Windows 7 is great, if it wasn't for punkbuster i would be using it right now. Vista seems to be way to go if you have 4GB or more of RAM, make sure you get x64 though

·
Premium Member
4,715 Posts
XP is faster when it comes to running most desktop applications such as video editing programs.

But Vista/Win7 beats out XP for gaming I believe.

·
Registered
396 Posts
yup vista is just as fast as xp, its just that the UI effect make it appear less snappy. Only those slow office PCs should even decide if they should use XP or Vista imo.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AMD+nVidia View Post
Windows 7 Build 7048.

Hands down.

I'm running it on my laptop, and about to put it on my desktop.

Best. OS. Ever.
How'd you get hold of that build?

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
Win 7 all the way.
Grab the RC1 as soon as it's out next month and you won't regret it.
It's too late to grab the public beta now and only a few MSDN subscribers had the chance to get their hands on the latest beta build, which is actually way better and faster than the public beta (they further improved the networking part of the OS, especially the wireless one) but the OS really is great, maybe the best Windows they ever developed.

@Zoki318: Well you can't really customize the Start Menu in the public beta, you have a few options but that's all, however in the latest beta build you've got a lot more of customization options unlocked, not only for the Start Menu, but for the whole OS.

@Trav1s: develop on PunkBuster please, coz I've got no issues with it on Win7 running NFS Undercover or CoD-MW. And don't say you have a leaked version of Win7 else you're asking for a warning imho, but just my 2 cents.

@alphafalafel: been testing Win7 in every way I could since it first became available on MSDN (even changed mobos, CPUs and gfx cards without reinstalling the OS or anything) and I've yet to see a single BSOD. What build were you using ?

@AIpha: If your friend just dl'ed and installed Win7, then he doesn't have a legit version and prolly just grabbed his off some BT tracker. In which case he got pwn'ed for dl'ing copyrighted material and should have waited til next month to grab a legit copy of the RC.

Edit:
@AMD+nVidia: Just wait til the RC1, they have even more good stuff coming in

·
Banned
7,990 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by eXe.Lilith View Post

Or I could use this till RC1, and then get RC1 and not be behind.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
It's between Windows 7 and XP. Although XP will use less system resources. My desktop uses like 300-400mb of ram while converting a video with skype and msn open. Windows 7 uses a little over 1gb.

Also, I hear the RC will not have the "upgrade" option, is that true? I'm running build 7000 on my Asus N80vn laptop (loving it btw) and there's so much programs on it I'd hate to reformat it just for the RC, and then again when the retail version is out.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by eXe.Lilith View Post
Win 7 all the way.
Grab the RC1 as soon as it's out next month and you won't regret it.
It's too late to grab the public beta now and only a few MSDN subscribers had the chance to get their hands on the latest beta build, which is actually way better and faster than the public beta (they further improved the networking part of the OS, especially the wireless one) but the OS really is great, maybe the best Windows they ever developed.

@Zoki318: Well you can't really customize the Start Menu in the public beta, you have a few options but that's all, however in the latest beta build you've got a lot more of customization options unlocked, not only for the Start Menu, but for the whole OS.

@Trav1s: develop on PunkBuster please, coz I've got no issues with it on Win7 running NFS Undercover or CoD-MW. And don't say you have a leaked version of Win7 else you're asking for a warning imho, but just my 2 cents.

@alphafalafel: been testing Win7 in every way I could since it first became available on MSDN (even changed mobos, CPUs and gfx cards without reinstalling the OS or anything) and I've yet to see a single BSOD. What build were you using ?

@AIpha: If your friend just dl'ed and installed Win7, then he doesn't have a legit version and prolly just grabbed his off some BT tracker. In which case he got pwn'ed for dl'ing copyrighted material and should have waited til next month to grab a legit copy of the RC.

Edit:

I was using the public beta build 7000 (x64). It would bsod all the time when I did anything involving the USB connections, refused to recognise my monitor microphone array, made syncing my ipod impossible and if i left it doing something for like 20 mins by the time I got back it would have died.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by alphafalafel View Post

then what does BSOD mean even ?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts