Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after deciding the video card that I want, (EVGA gtx 970 with the silent cooling http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487076 I have found that there is still some choices to be made: output options. Which kinda has me stumped.

There are 2 main ones that I am looking at:

1 is:
1 x Dual-link DVI-I 1 x Dual-link DVI-D 1 x HDMI 2.0 1 x DisplayPort 1.2

and the other is:
1 x Dual-link DVI-I 1 x HDMI 2.0 3 x DisplayPort 1.2

There are other options, but ive narrowed it down to these 2 choices. The first one, is quite similar to what I have now. (I currently have 2 monitors, both using DVI, although they both are HDMI capable)

When I get this graphics card, I want to keep my current monitor setup for the time being (they both can use either DVI, or HDMI), but, I do want to upgrade later. at first, I want at least 1 4k monitor. Then, possibly 2 more, further on, hopefully if the price falls a bit.

Which I am wondering, for 1, if it would be possible for 3 4k panels? if that is good, then, what sort of output would they need? I am assuming DVI doesn't have enough bandwidth, which leaves HDMI, and the DisplayPort. (which I haven't even heard of until now, but looking at it, it seems very capable)

So what should I get? And if I should get the one with 3 displayport outputs, would I be able to use the 1 dvi port, and 1 hdmi port, so I can keep my side-by-side monitors?

Hope this is somewhat readable.
tongue.gif

Thanks
smile.gif

·
Old to Overclock.net
4,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketatrypt View Post

So, after deciding the video card that I want, (EVGA gtx 970 with the silent cooling http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487076 I have found that there is still some choices to be made: output options. Which kinda has me stumped.

There are 2 main ones that I am looking at:

1 is:
1 x Dual-link DVI-I 1 x Dual-link DVI-D 1 x HDMI 2.0 1 x DisplayPort 1.2

and the other is:
1 x Dual-link DVI-I 1 x HDMI 2.0 3 x DisplayPort 1.2

There are other options, but ive narrowed it down to these 2 choices. The first one, is quite similar to what I have now. (I currently have 2 monitors, both using DVI, although they both are HDMI capable)

When I get this graphics card, I want to keep my current monitor setup for the time being (they both can use either DVI, or HDMI), but, I do want to upgrade later. at first, I want at least 1 4k monitor. Then, possibly 2 more, further on.

Which I am wondering, for 1, if it would be possible for 3 4k panels? if that is good, then, what sort of output would they need? I am assuming DVI doesn't have enough bandwidth, which leaves HDMI, and the DisplayPort. (which I haven't even heard of until now, but looking at it, it seems very capable)

So what should I get? And if I should get the one with 3 displayport outputs, would I be able to use the 1 dvi port, and 1 hdmi port, so I can keep my side-by-side monitors?

Hope this is somewhat readable.
tongue.gif

Thanks
smile.gif
HDMI 2.0 allows up to 4k @ 60 Hz
DisplayPort 1.2a systems today can support 4K displays at 60Hz refresh and full 30-bit 4:4:4 color (non-chroma subsampled)

The question you have with that monitor is if it has the updated 1.2a Vbios because if it only has the 1.2 Vbios then it won't do [email protected] Hz

What you're looking for in a monitor is for HDMI 3.0 (This isn't even out there yet - so your stuck doing 4k at 60 Hz/ 60 fps with HDMI 2.0) and Displayport 1.3 so you can safely do 4k, 5k and 8k.

Displayport 1.3 is enough for a 4K UHD display (3840×2160) at 120 Hz, a 5K display (5120×2880) at 60 Hz, or an 8K UHD display (7680×4320) at 30 Hz, with 24-bit RGB color. Using Multi-Stream Transport (MST), it can support two 4K UHD (3840×2160) displays at 60 Hz, or up to four WQXGA (2560×1600) displays at 60 Hz in 24-bit RGB mode

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so, thats all good info. Helps out a bit - I am thinking I should prolly get the one with 3x displayport ports. I took a quick look over all the 4k monitors (something like this http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236399 )

So I guess that leaves me with 1 last question - Will I be able to use the 1 hdmi, and the 1 dvi output to use dual monitors for side-by-side use? I would assume so, but, lol.. I have to ask, sorry...
tongue.gif

·
Old to Overclock.net
4,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketatrypt View Post

so, thats all good info. Helps out a bit - I am thinking I should prolly get the one with 3x displayport ports. I took a quick look over all the 4k monitors (something like this http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236399 )

So I guess that leaves me with 1 last question - Will I be able to use the 1 hdmi, and the 1 dvi output to use dual monitors for side-by-side use? I would assume so, but, lol.. I have to ask, sorry...
tongue.gif
Yes you can!
thumb.gif

One word of warning though, your 970 can't really push 60 fps (no current gen card can) on 4k so if you're really looking into that, you need to wait for the real successor to the Fury X and 980 ti before you can safely say you can do 60 fps on at least 4k.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts