Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. A friend of mine is asking what to change, he wants higher FPS.

He want to upgrade to 8GB ram instead of 4, I don't know if it will gives more FPS. He has a GTX 260, but will something more powerful bottleneck ? Here's the spec

MOBO:Intel Corporation DP35DP
CPU:Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
RAM: DDR2 OCZ OCZ2G8001G 1024 Mo PC2-6400 (400 Mhz) (5.0-5-5-15)
DDR2 Kingston KTC1G-UDIMM 1024 Mo PC2-6400 (400 Mhz) (5.0-5-5-18)
DDR2 OCZ OCZ2G8001G 1024 Mo PC2-6400 (400 Mhz) (5.0-5-5-15)
DDR2 Kingston KTC1G-UDIMM 1024 Mo PC2-6400 (400 Mhz) (5.0-5-5-18)
GFX: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 (GT200,,896 Mo)

Should he just get 4x2gb and overclock the 260 ?
Thanks !

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
Nope, 4gh is fine for gaming. With 8gb, you won't see any performance increase. I would also say get a different motherboard, and ram. 400mhz is really slow. Get an xfx 750i and 4gb of some good ddr2, and then overcolock the cpu to like 3.2ghz, and overclock the gtx 260. He could also upgrade his gpu, whats his budget?

·
semi-legit
7,980 Posts
More RAM isn't going to improve gaming performance here, he'd be better off upgrading his vid card.

What resolution does he game at?

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks.

He can't really overclock his E8400 since he has the stock cooler and an intel mobo. He doesn't know how either.

That's why I was suggesting that he could overclock his 260GTX, It's easier to do.

If he change the gfx card, will the stock E8400 bottleneck it ?

·
No desktop currently :(
2,134 Posts
If you want to increase FPS, you almost always upgrade the GPU first, no questions asked. After that, getting a quad-core would give the next biggest increase in FPS. 4GB of RAM is enough.

·
semi-legit
7,980 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cr4zYH3aD View Post
Thanks.

He can't really overclock his E8400 since he has the stock cooler and an intel mobo. He doesn't know how either.

That's why I was suggesting that he could overclock his 260GTX, It's easier to do.

If he change the gfx card, will the stock E8400 bottleneck it ?
He could still upgrade to another card and be fine with the E8400; sure upping the clocks wouldn't hurt, but it's still a very solid performer for games which don't utilize more cores.

Again though, what resolution does he game at? What kind of FPS is he getting now / what kind of performance boost is he looking for?

·
Registered
783 Posts
GPU upgrades provide great fps boosts. The E8400 is a great overclocker. Now might be the time to get him started in overclocking. He has a great CPU, he just needs to get the most out of it.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He's gaming at 1600x900, but will switch to 1080p probably.

He wants to be sure to get alot of FPS for the new games he will buy, ABP (online GTA) - it list 4gb ram as recommended

For maximum FPS, will a 470 boost FPS by alot ? It's like 450$ here. Expensive.

As for a quad core, they are clocked below 3ghz, I don't think it will benefits.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cr4zYH3aD
View Post

He's gaming at 1600x900, but will switch to 1080p probably.

He wants to be sure to get alot of FPS for the new games he will buy, ABP (online GTA) - it list 4gb ram as recommended

For maximum FPS, will a 470 boost FPS by alot ? It's like 450$ here. Expensive.

As for a quad core, they are clocked below 3ghz, I don't think it will benefits.

Quad will provide a higher bottleneck and higher fps in games like gta, but a 8400 shouldn't bottleneck an OC'd 260 however it may bottlenecka 470.

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
Gtx 470 will be a big boost. Most likely %100 increse in performance. I saw a %120 increase from my gtx 260 c216. What is his budget for this upgrade?

·
Registered
770 Posts
get an ati 5850

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willanhanyard
View Post

Nope, 4gh is fine for gaming. With 8gb, you won't see any performance increase. I would also say get a different motherboard, and ram. 400mhz is really slow. Get an xfx 750i and 4gb of some good ddr2, and then overcolock the cpu to like 3.2ghz, and overclock the gtx 260. He could also upgrade his gpu, whats his budget?

it's called DDR2, the DDR stands for double data rate, as in it runs at 800mhz. you sir are a complete fool

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
The only thing that's going to gain him FPS with his current setup is a newer GPU. But it will indeed be held back by the E8400 @ only 3.0 unless he's playing at very very high resolution, and even then it's the weak point. And believe me, 'cause I'm the first one to call BS on bottlenecking claims.

He's got a few problems:

1: He needs 3.5-3.6 at least from that E8400, he could get a new or ebay mobo, but:
2: 4x1GB is no good for overclocking
3: By the time he spends $$ on mobo/RAM, he's still only got a dual core. He may as well go AMD Phenom X4 for the money.
4: After he spends on all that, he still may want a new GPU.

I can guaranty you that if he moves to an AMD Phenom X4 and can get 3.7/3.8MHz he'll get a very large performance increase even if he stays with that GTX260. If he's only at 1680x1050 resolution, he'll be fine with any current title.

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pieisgood2 View Post
get an ati 5850

it's called DDR2, the DDR stands for double data rate, as in it runs at 800mhz. you sir are a complete fool
Dude, I never knew what ddr meant, so don't call me a fool. Noob.

·
I might have tacos tonite
22,339 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Willanhanyard View Post
Dude, I never knew what ddr meant, so don't call me a fool. Noob.
If you didn't know what it was, you probably shouldn't have said anything about it. Anyways, name calling will not get us anywhere.

My suggestion would be to get a new GPU and a CPU cooler, then learn to overclock. It's really simple on socket 775, you basically just raise the fsb until it gets unstable, then you raise the CPU voltage a little until it's stable, then I'd be happy with whatever that gives you for starters.

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy9000 View Post
If you didn't know what it was, you probably shouldn't have said anything about it. Anyways, name calling will not get us anywhere.

My suggestion would be to get a new GPU and a CPU cooler, then learn to overclock. It's really simple on socket 775, you basically just raise the fsb until it gets unstable, then you raise the CPU voltage a little until it's stable, then I'd be happy with whatever that gives you for starters.
I never really cared enough to ask what DDR meant. I just knew that it worked.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts