Overclock.net banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cant figure it out from the manual, but I want to add a larger NVMe drive in the main slot and move my current 500GB 970 Evo to a expansion card.

But I cant remember if its only the second PCIE x16 slot that will make the 2 x16 slots run at x8 or if any of the others are also connected if used

I plan on using this one if its the PCIE 2.0 x16 slot I can use

Or this if PCIe 3.0

·
Robotic Chemist
4,084 Posts
But I cant remember if its only the second PCIE x16 slot that will make the 2 x16 slots run at x8 or if any of the others are also connected if used
If you put a card in PCIE_x8_2 then PCIE_x16/x8_1 will go to x8 mode. No other slot shares lanes with PCIE_x16/x8_1.

Put the expansion card in PCIe_x4_3 (the bottom slot, it is also x16 physically). It is PCIe 2.0.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you put a card in PCIE_x8_2 then PCIE_x16/x8_1 will go to x8 mode. No other slot shares lanes with PCIE_x16/x8_1.

Put the expansion card in PCIe_x4_3 (the bottom slot, it is also x16 physically). It is PCIe 2.0.
Okay, so only the 2 x16 PCIe lanes I should not use for this, thats perfect, thanks! :)

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
That info is usually in the motherboard manual.
Hello - Looks like you got it sorted out but.... the PDF manual for the motherboard - Find the pages for your board

There is a WI-fi version as well - I got one of these (non wi-fi) - great for 3rd gen! - Download and backup for when its needed :)

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello - Looks like you got it sorted out but.... the PDF manual for the motherboard - Find the pages for your board

There is a WI-fi version as well - I got one of these (non wi-fi) - great for 3rd gen! - Download and backup for when its needed :)
I read the manual, but think I got confused with other boards (Mostly B450) where lanes are somehow connected to sata ports and other stuff

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Hi,

Confusion can happen with all these motherboards - I've lost count on the times I've looked up onboard devices for various boards such as LAN & PCI-e slots or NVME slots or SATA ports etc.......or what ever - But with a Crosshair VI its worth it ! - :)

·
Somewhere Else
374 Posts
Oh, if you run the bottom slot at 4x, that disables all the 1x slots.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts