Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got this crazy fan for my cpu cooler and well this thing spins @ 6350+/- 50rpm. So I went to radio shack and got a potentiometer, wired it in (no1 pin in, 2 pin out, 3 pin ground) And while it did drop the R's some what its at about 6000 now there is no actual rpm control with it.
The one I got is a 50k-ohm linear taper 500vdc-0.5w. Do I need more resistance?
I guess Im not sure what I need exactly to make this thing usable. Any suggestions?
-Ω.

·
Premium Member
22,004 Posts
What are the electrical specifications for the fan? (Voltage, current draw, etc?)

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
first thing that you might want to do is get a pot that can handle the wattage that your fan can draw through it.

also when wiring up the pot are you sure that you wired it correctly? pin 1 should be a 12v feed, pin 2 (the pni that goes to the wiper arm) should be output to the fan, and pin 3 to ground. you might want to check with a volt meter the resistance to make sure it is functioning correctly if you did wire it right.

·
Banned
16,364 Posts
Quote:

also when wiring up the pot are you sure that you wired it correctly? pin 1 should be a 12v feed, pin 2 (the pni that goes to the wiper arm) should be output to the fan, and pin 3 to ground. you might want to check with a volt meter the resistance to make sure it is functioning correctly if you did wire it right.

..Isnt it -> 1, 3, 2, as you explained it.. ? Looking at the VR from the side..the ground is the middle pin, and wiper..either end.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts