Overclock.net banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·




Im keeping them annonomyse so people can tell me the truth, because i really dont know the first thing about PSU's and this will hopefully be for my next rig
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
897 Posts
First on, it's only 10W behind the second one, but has 35A on the 12V, which will make it more stable.

edit// heh, it's getting late for me....the watts are the same, but 12V is more stable, so the first one.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,952 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Orange

Im keeping them annonomyse so people can tell me the truth, because i really dont know the first thing about PSU's and this will hopefully be for my next rig

well, I actually know what 1 of the PSU is (5 fans is a dead giveaway) which I would take because it supports EPS12v but only has 1 rail.. Then I would take the 1st one because there is a good chance that it has EPS12v and looks like it has decent efficiency under load. The Amprage on the 12v rails are identical basically, so there isn't much to compare there. So yea, first one gets my vote due to dual rails..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
897 Posts
Goodness, I need sleep...last post for the night. My main reason first one is better was because it had dual rails, which generally mean more stability.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by wowza

well, I actually know what 1 of the PSU is (5 fans is a dead giveaway) which I would take because it supports EPS12v but only has 1 rail.. Then I would take the 1st one because there is a good chance that it has EPS12v and looks like it has decent efficiency under load. The Amprage on the 12v rails are identical basically, so there isn't much to compare there. So yea, first one gets my vote..

And the funny think is there a $60 difference between the 2 HAHAHAH wow

Will it be able to support these components
AMD 4200+ X2
ASUS A8N-E Motherboard
eVGA 7800GT
???????????
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,655 Posts
actually by keeping the make/models from us you are actually hindering our ability to tell you which one is better!
when it comes to psus there are no real standards for companies to rate their units... so a large part about how good a psu is is the brand. some brands are just better than others!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,952 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by soloz2

actually by keeping the make/models from us you are actually hindering our ability to tell you which one is better!
when it comes to psus there are no real standards for companies to rate their units... so a large part about how good a psu is is the brand. some brands are just better than others!

I disagree to a certain extent. Your correct in some ways that a certain brand may overrate a PSU's ability (wattage and amperage) for example, compare a PCP&C 510w SLi turbocool psu to an Ultra x-connect 500w. Now do you think the ultra puts out 10 amps less than a 200 dollar PSU? I don't think so, but, Hideing the brands takes away from the brand flaming and bias due to brands, which I think was a good Idea.

@ Orange, Yes, that PSU should support your new killer setup without a problem.. The Aspire brand got creamed because they started into the market with cheezy PSU's so they were hammered, but since then, they are now starting to put out some quaility products.

(also, I knew that the OCZ powerstream was the 2nd one, because of the fans and it's in your sig for upgrades)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by wowza

I disagree to a certain extent. Your correct in some ways that a certain brand may overrate a PSU's ability (wattage and amperage) for example, compare a PCP&C 510w SLi turbocool psu to an Ultra x-connect 500w. Now do you think the ultra puts out 10 amps less than a 200 dollar PSU? I don't think so, but, Hideing the brands takes away from the brand flaming and bias due to brands, which I think was a good Idea.

@ Orange, Yes, that PSU should support your new killer setup without a problem.. The Aspire brand got creamed because they started into the market with cheezy PSU's so they were hammered, but since then, they are now starting to put out some quaility products.

(also, I knew that the OCZ powerstream was the 2nd one, because of the fans and it's in your sig for upgrades)

Ouch ahah but it was the 520, and the rig in my sig.....isnt what im getting i hate my current rig because its not...well reliable so hopefully ill be able to get a loan from my parents and order it soon
.....i REALLY hope they say yes.....so i beleive i went from a $1235 setup to a $1115 setup haha
sweet maybe ill get something else

THanks wowza
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,789 Posts
I was thinking of getting that ocz psu, then i saw the seasonic s12 or ss-600ht so i decided to go with the seasonic instead, due to price difference, and i kindda heard some bad things about having dual rails. incase u may wanna see the seasonic..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151025

and yes it was a good idea to hide the brand name so u can get a better opinions, most people decides with BRAND NAME not how well it would perform.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,724 Posts
I can guarantee that my 520 OCZ is better than the Aspire, Lando will back me up in this one


EDIT: and Yiffy, and I quote YiffyGriffy: "I think any PSU is better than Aspire.. except like Ultra or Powmax"
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,655 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by wowza

I disagree to a certain extent. Your correct in some ways that a certain brand may overrate a PSU's ability (wattage and amperage) for example, compare a PCP&C 510w SLi turbocool psu to an Ultra x-connect 500w. Now do you think the ultra puts out 10 amps less than a 200 dollar PSU? I don't think so, but, Hideing the brands takes away from the brand flaming and bias due to brands, which I think was a good Idea.

I do think that the pc power and cooling psu will output more than the x-connect... plus it will be more stable while doing it. Because pcpower and cooling is a better company, they put more into their psus and they rate them according to much higher standards and higher operating temps than x-connects. Does that necessarily mean it is worth spending the extra money... not necessarily.

But certain companies have made reputations for making good psus. pc power and cooling, seasonic and enermax are all examples. The reason I wanted to see the make model is because I would take a 500w enermax over a 600w aspire any day (just used as an example)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,820 Posts
The brand simply put does make a difference. Of course issues such as # of rails and amp levels are important but not only the features but the construction alone will make a huge difference in the quality and branding is how you know.

Now if you are looking for a new PSU I would say OCZ is a sure thing...mine has been rock solid for a year now, not one hiccup. However, I have been seeing/hearing really good things about the Sunbeam Nuuo
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,655 Posts
I can second the nuuo. I bought one for my bro's rig and I really like it. It's not as quiet or as efficient as my seasonic, but it looks better! lol. it's a lot cheaper. i would honestly have to say that it's probably the best psu for the money.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
732 Posts
Ya you need to know what kind of psu it is your comparing. As alot of psu manufactures rate their psu's and low temperatures and take the maximum output achieved instead of what the psu can do at anytime. I also reccommend not getting the aspire psu. I would rather invest in a stable psu than take a cheap psu thats not stable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by Bindusar

The brand simply put does make a difference. Of course issues such as # of rails and amp levels are important but not only the features but the construction alone will make a huge difference in the quality and branding is how you know.

Now if you are looking for a new PSU I would say OCZ is a sure thing...mine has been rock solid for a year now, not one hiccup. However, I have been seeing/hearing really good things about the Sunbeam Nuuo

Is that nuuo sold on newegg by any chance?!? looks awsome, and seems like it would be as good as the Powerstream 520W OCZ....
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top