Overclock.net banner

Which one would you buy?

  • Silverstone ST85F-P

    Votes: 3 8.8%
  • NZXT HALE90-850-M

    Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Corsair AX850

    Votes: 24 70.6%
  • XFX XPS-850W-BES

    Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Silverstone ST85F-G

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • None of the Above, please specify in a post!

    Votes: 1 2.9%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
VeeDub Enthusiast
Joined
·
4,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
rig is in my signature, i will add a second optical drive and a SSD maybe a third hdd. thats all the upgrades ill be doing, i came up with 840w MAX wattage with everything connected and maxed out as i like to have a stable and head room psu, one of my requirements was dual EPS headers as my Board has 2x 8 pin cpu power..., also i might remove the watercooling loop within the next 3 month, and possibly add a 970 or 980x.

Heres what i could come up with after doing a few days worth of research, check the poll, and if you want, leave some comments as to why which what where psu to pick...

heres a shortcut to a comparison within newegg of all 5 power supplies next to each other:

Comparison link
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,430 Posts
The Corsair AX 850 wins my vote. Certified Gold efficiency backed by the outstanding craftsmanship of Corsair.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,821 Posts
ax850.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
794 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by hitman1985
View Post

rig is in my signature, i will add a second optical drive and a SSD maybe a third hdd. thats all the upgrades ill be doing, i came up with 840w MAX wattage with everything connected and maxed out as i like to have a stable and head room psu, one of my requirements was dual EPS headers as my Board has 2x 8 pin cpu power..., also i might remove the watercooling loop within the next 3 month, and possibly add a 970 or 980x.

Heres what i could come up with after doing a few days worth of research, check the poll, and if you want, leave some comments as to why which what where psu to pick...

heres a shortcut to a comparison within newegg of all 5 power supplies next to each other:

Comparison link

I'm looking to buy the Corsair AX-850.. so get that one ;D
Seen some videos of it on YT and read up on it.. looks to be the best on that list If I'm honest.. Also the Corsair brand name is no match for the other contenders. (Says me with my little Chieftec
)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,520 Posts
All of them are fantastic. All have pros and cons against them. A lot of people will say the AX850, since it's based on SeaSonic's X platform; but at 850W+ that platform isn't all that much better than the M12D platform (used in the XFX) or the CWT DSG platform (used in the HX850) or the Superflower Golden Green platform (used in the NZXT and Kingwin LZG).

The Silverstone -P unit is a bit lower end than the others, but not so much so you'd see the difference. The Silverstone -G unit is based on an untested platform, but it's probably up there with the others or not far behind.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
311 Posts
Corsair for sure based on the rating and past experiences of mine.
 

·
sudo apt install sl
Joined
·
8,470 Posts
The AX850 powers up my system and has a lot of left over power to spare, this is my 2nd Corsair powersupply and it's been running fine for 2 months so far. I had to deal with Corsair's RMA supprt once for a pair of memory sticks and it was an easy process.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
435 Posts
Love my AX850
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,146 Posts
Those PSUs are all great but I fail to see why you need a 850W unit... you'd be fine on a good 550W unit, if you wanted lots of room you could get a 650W and be set... Even if you added a 2nd 6970 you'd still be fine.
 

·
VeeDub Enthusiast
Joined
·
4,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by Kasp1js
View Post

840w WHAAAT??? Where did you get that?

here you go:

 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,146 Posts
Yeah... with the above screenshot in mind, this further consolidates my opinion that even the best PSU calculator out there (the one you used) is crap. 844W is ludicrous for your setup.
 

·
VeeDub Enthusiast
Joined
·
4,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by Shub
View Post

Yeah... with the above screenshot in mind, this further consolidates my opinion that even the best PSU calculator out there (the one you used) is crap. 844W is ludicrous for your setup.

any better recommendations ? my ears are yours, i ve used that one since its been available and have not had a bad call so far
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,520 Posts
A 980X at 5.1GHz? Come on, man.

Also, you don't use 100% TDP or 100% load, you have to go by 90% unless you know what you're doing.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,146 Posts
For sure you won't buy an insufficient PSU with that calculator. Other calculators (such as Newegg's) are even worse. I say you'll be fine on a good 650W unit. I'd get a SeaSonic X650 myself.
 

·
sudo apt install sl
Joined
·
8,470 Posts
If I was you I would still get an AX850 because you may want to crossfire 2 6970's
 

·
VeeDub Enthusiast
Joined
·
4,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129
View Post

A 980X at 5.1GHz? Come on, man.

Also, you don't use 100% TDP or 100% load, you have to go by 90% unless you know what you're doing.

point 1 taken, idk how high ill be able to get it, but it ll be around the 5+ ghz marks
with what i will be picking up 1st week in february in ATL xD

100%tdp, just to make sure i have some headroom you know, should i settle for a smaller psu then the units i picked ? if so, which wattage would you recommend, keep in mind i want dual eps headers as a minimum on the psu
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,520 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by hitman1985
View Post

point 1 taken, idk how high ill be able to get it, but it ll be around the 5+ ghz marks
with what i will be picking up 1st week in february in ATL xD

100%tdp, just to make sure i have some headroom you know, should i settle for a smaller psu then the units i picked ? if so, which wattage would you recommend, keep in mind i want dual eps headers as a minimum on the psu


Forget the goddamn word headroom, christ if I had a nickel for every time someone said that as an excuse for wasting money with flimsy justification... I'd have a lot of spare change.

Don't touch the TDP settings on that calculator.

And you're not going to be able to do 5GHz 24/7 with a 980X. Try 4.5GHz max.

A quality 750W would run your system with Crossfire.
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: hitman1985

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,404 Posts
The Silverstone gold also looks like an enhance unit, as are the rest of the Silverstone units so far.
I voted for the XFX modular, but the Corsair AX and Seasonic X are both great units as well.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top