Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have e8500 that can comfortably hit 4ghz with my board. I was considering these CPUs. q6600 q6700 q9550 or q9650.

I really don't feel like going to q9650 because its still expensive. I'm trying to get the most of Price/Performance(with overclockability) out of these CPUs... Maybe I can add q9450 but I can't seem to find one of those. Please give me some ideas. thanks in advance
 

·
Goodbye
Joined
·
10,269 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by crashnburn_819 View Post
If you're planning an upgrade from an E8500, I'd recommend going i7. Q9550 is on the dying LGA775 (but a great chip nonetheless)
+1

Q9550 is your best bet. But it's just a stopgap for a dying socket.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
haha... Who would i sell it to? xD So... I don't know if this is against forum rule but with my current rig MotherBoard CPU Ram how much do I sell thses for?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by crashnburn_819 View Post
Appraisals go in a different section that requires 35 rep to post.
so even asking how much i would sell these for is against the rules? I'm not planning on(if I do decide to sell) selling this on OC.net hrmm... here is the thing though. I bought this rig not too long ago...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,800 Posts
I would keep your cpu for a bit, unless you do heavy encoding, you're going to be fine with that chip for a bit. Then when the 32nm i7 shrink comes out, upgrade.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Varjo View Post
I would keep your cpu for a bit, unless you do heavy encoding, you're going to be fine with that chip for a bit. Then when the 32nm i7 shrink comes out, upgrade.
i guess thats a better idea.. amongst others.. any clue how much the 32nm die would cost?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,017 Posts
Q9550 since you wont need to upgrade your current board, it will be the best for price/performance...

IF you go i7, you will need to add another 400-500 for the RAM and MOBO, which is basically a new computer, and not a cpu upgrade...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,800 Posts
For the cpu, I bet around what they cost now tbh. The other option would be to go 32 nm i5, which would be MUCH cheaper. Could be had for as little as 100 USD I bet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,800 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by crashnburn_819 View Post
If you need to ask...

It'll probably take about a year for the 32nm's to be affordable. You can probably wait it out with your E8500

Agreed, I would hold on to your duel for a bit.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,017 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Varjo View Post
I would keep your cpu for a bit, unless you do heavy encoding, you're going to be fine with that chip for a bit. Then when the 32nm i7 shrink comes out, upgrade.
Currently there are no i7 32nm to be released, so please do not listen to the bull...

Westmere is the soon to be released architecture from Intel. It is a dual-core based on the i7 architecture. It is 32nm, with an addition of a 45nm IGP (Integrated Graphics Processor) on the CPU itself, instead of the board. The dual-core will feature hyper-threading, like the i7, so the OS will see it as a Quad Core. Also, this is a socket change from socket 775, so unless you are going to buy a new motherboard and RAM, then the best option would be to buy a Q9550 or Q9650 and stick with your current hardware.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,800 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by xxicrimsonixx
View Post

Currently there are no i7 32nm to be released, so please do not listen to the bull...

Westmere is the soon to be released architecture from Intel. It is a dual-core based on the i7 architecture. It is 32nm, with an addition of a 45nm IGP (Integrated Graphics Processor) on the CPU itself, instead of the board. The dual-core will feature hyper-threading, like the i7, so the OS will see it as a Quad Core. Also, this is a socket change from socket 775, so unless you are going to buy a new motherboard and RAM, then the best option would be to buy a Q9550 or Q9650 and stick with your current hardware.


Get YOUR facts straight.

http://arstechnica.com/hardware/news...peed-ahead.ars

Westmere is Nehalem's 32nm successor, and yes, some versions of the chip will be duel core and have an igp. But other versions will simply be quad (or hex) 32 nm i7s.

And westmere isn't "based on i7" it IS i7, just like both 65 and 45 nm Q2Ds are both Q2Ds, different chip, same overall name.

Edit: Upgrading from his 8500 to a quad will only help him in specific limited situations, I am saying he should hold off on an upgrade altogether for a while, and then get a new system. Not dump a few hundred bucks into a chip that will be out of date in a year anyway.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,017 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Varjo
View Post

Get YOUR facts straight.

http://arstechnica.com/hardware/news...peed-ahead.ars

Westmere is Nehalem's 32nm successor, and yes, some versions of the chip will be duel core and have an igp. But other versions will simply be quad (or hex) 32 nm i7s.

And westmere isn't "based on i7" it IS i7, just like both 65 and 45 nm Q2Ds are both Q2Ds, different chip, same overall name.

Get YOUR facts straight.

I did a bit more research. there will be a 32nm Core i7, but it will be called Gulftown. Westmere will be exclusively dual-core. Gulftown is the 32nm version of core i7, and is going to be released in 2010.

Source: http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=14227

To OP, I would stick with the e8500 for now (unless you really need a quad, then buy a Q9550), and wait for Gulftown.

I am waiting for the 6 Core-12 Thread processor codenamed Sandy Bridge for my next upgrade.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,800 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by xxicrimsonixx
View Post

Get YOUR facts straight.

I did a bit more research. there will be a 32nm Core i7, but it will be called Gulftown. Westmere will be exclusively dual-core. Gulftown is the 32nm version of core i7, and is going to be released in 2010.

To OP, I would stick with the e8500 for now (unless you really need a quad, then buy a Q9550), and wait for Gulftown.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nehalem....22Westmere.22

32 nm processor architecture "Westmere"

Westmere (formerly Nehalem-C) is the name given to the 32 nm shrink of Nehalem. Westmere should be ready for a 2009 release provided that Intel stays on target with its roadmap. However, it appears that the bulk of Westmere's versions, excluding mobile versions, will be released sometime in 2010.[23][24] Westmere's features and improvements from Nehalem have been reported as follows:

* Native six-core processors.

Also

Quote:


Originally Posted by xxicrimsonixx
View Post

Currently there are no i7 32nm to be released, so please do not listen to the bull...


Quote:


Originally Posted by xxicrimsonixx
View Post

Get YOUR

I did a bit more research. there will be a 32nm Core i7,


stop posting if you have no clue what you're talking about.

Edit: Just to be clear, I'm talking about the Westmere Family, not a single chip.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top