Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new at overclocking, and also don't know too much about hardware.

I recently upgraded from an E6700 and experienced great increase in performance.

As of now I have 4 x Crucial DDR2 PC5300 CL5 1024MB 667MHz (OCed to 750MHz, timings set to auto), which I'm pretty certain is too slow considering my system specs.

I play a lot of GTA IV, AC2, L4D - and a bunch of other Source-engine based games.

Which RAM should I choose?

·
Registered
659 Posts
What ever fits your budget =D
I personally think 4GB works great.
I just upgraded recently RAM from 2gb 800mhz to 4g 1066mhz,
But i cant tell you if there's a gain from speed, because what i was lacking was more memory.

*EVGA nforce 780i SLI FTW*

Memory Supported:
533MHz DDR2
Dual Channel Supported
667MHz DDR2
800MHz DDR2
1200MHz DDR2 (SLI-Ready)
1066MHz DDR2

Number of Slots:

Maximum Memory Supported:
8GB - 64bit

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the swift reply, and for posting the extended info

I also think that 4GB works great. Do you believe these are a waste of money?

I want to be able to overclock my CPU and RAM further.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Honestly, I don't think they add much other than looks. I'd say you'd be fine with a good set of 1066Mhz without the bells and whistles. Though, I could be wrong. G Skill seems to be well received and they have a couple of 2x2GB sets for <$100.

·
Registered
822 Posts
LOL, yeah those G Skills were actually the exact ones I was thinking of getting. I guess I don't really need that high. The 800MHz sticks would give me a 1:1 for my CPU, since it would be 400x9, but from what I have read the ratio doesn't matter as much anymore. Plus, going over on your RAM has no real negative affect.

Screw I'm buying the G Skills.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sorrowfool
View Post

Honestly, I don't think they add much other than looks. I'd say you'd be fine with a good set of 1066Mhz without the bells and whistles. Though, I could be wrong. G Skill seems to be well received and they have a couple of 2x2GB sets for <$100.

Umm...They added a $20 RAM cooler for $70? And yea, G. Skill RAM are cheap and stable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts