1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
PC Evangelist
47,377 Posts
You are comparing 2 vs 1 when they are the same price. Not much increase from current Raid.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wasn't comparing to price. I was comparing 15000rpm and 10000rpm hdds.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
here is a benchmark of 3 of those drives in raid 0 on a Dell Perc5i 8x card running at 4x, Im not sure if I can get more out of them with an 8x slot but I will really see the difference out of them since I cant run 4x without losing my tv tuner and external SATA card that are plugged in the other slots.

Perc5/i 3 fujistu 73GB SAS drives on a 4X slot 128mb test

Perc5/i 3 fujistu 73GB SAS drives on a 1X slot 128mb test

The 3.5in SAS drives are old, the newer 2.5in SAS would be better but I got these for free.

·
AS 396507
1,565 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NewAtOCing View Post
So just out of curiosity which would be faster?
what do you mean, faster? access times would probably be faster with the 1 scsi drive, but bandwidth is probably going to be better with any two sata drives in raid-0. so are you looking for torque or horsepower?

edit: i hope youre' not thinking about putting a SAS drive on a sata port...

·
Registered
252 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by yawnbox
View Post

what do you mean, faster? access times would probably be faster with the 1 scsi drive, but bandwidth is probably going to be better with any two sata drives in raid-0. so are you looking for torque or horsepower?

edit: i hope youre' not thinking about putting a SAS drive on a sata port...

What's wrong with using a SAS drive on a SATA port? Won't it work if you had an SAS to SATA adapter?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts