Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to burn an ISO file to a DVD, but I'm running into some problems. The ISO file is 6.7Gb, but of course the only DVD I have on hand is the 4.7Gb variety. So I was wondering... isn't there some way to compress the file but still have it work properly once you try to use the disc? I remember hearing something about that once.

I tried to just mount the image using your run of the mill mounting program, but it keeps saying "error in command line" and then closing.

·
Premium Member
3,001 Posts
ISO's are uncompressed, just as the data on the disc is uncompressed as well. I don't think there's a way to load over 4.7GB onto a disc without a client that decompresses it on the fly, and I don't even know if something like that exists.

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
Get a DL DVD, it should fit on there.

·
Prince of all Saiyans
4,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennylava;15298211
I'm trying to burn an ISO file to a DVD, but I'm running into some problems. The ISO file is 6.7Gb, but of course the only DVD I have on hand is the 4.7Gb variety. So I was wondering... isn't there some way to compress the file but still have it work properly once you try to use the disc? I remember hearing something about that once.

I tried to just mount the image using your run of the mill mounting program, but it keeps saying "error in command line" and then closing.
Nope, ISOs being uncompressed data. You could package into a compressible install/fsx but will lose ISO function. Time to switch to Dual-Layer DVDs, as most games are printed under this density.

·
SubZero is the Goal
1,562 Posts
For anything over 4.7 but under 9 (8.5g more or less) you will need a DVD + R DL disk to burn it.
If it is over 8.5 you will need BluRay media to burn it

OR, you could make a suffiently large enough flash drive bootable and extract the contents of the iso to the thumb-drive using poweriso or winrar

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Depending on what it is I'd try opening it up with PowerISO or even 7-zip and see if there is anything you can take out.

If it's a game install removing something like DX cabinet installers(usually only like 60-180mb though) and languages will work alright.

Like everyone has said though it seems as if your only option is to burn it onto a larger disc. I'd recommend doing it overnight at a low speed with a fan blowing on the disc-drive. You'd really hate for there to be any problems with the disc... especially for the cost and time of burning a single disc. x_x

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok thanks for the help everyone. Yeah it seems that PowerISO (as per your recommendation) is more "powerful" than Daemon tools. Seeing as how it actually worked instead of failing lol.

But anyway, this leads me to one more question. Is there some reason why the typical ISO file doesn't seem to want to burn to a DVD-RW? I had some of those on hand but it would just stop and give some random error code. I'm just using ImgBurn which has worked fine for me up until now. The file size was small enough to fit, but to this day I have not been able to make an ISO work on a rewritable disc. Odd.

·
Premium Member
3,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennylava;15298868
Ok thanks for the help everyone. Yeah it seems that PowerISO (as per your recommendation) is more "powerful" than Daemon tools. Seeing as how it actually worked instead of failing lol.

But anyway, this leads me to one more question. Is there some reason why the typical ISO file doesn't seem to want to burn to a DVD-RW? I had some of those on hand but it would just stop and give some random error code. I'm just using ImgBurn which has worked fine for me up until now. The file size was small enough to fit, but to this day I have not been able to make an ISO work on a rewritable disc. Odd.
It could be poor quality discs. I've gotten ISO's to burn to many RW discs fine. I use DVD+RWs, not sure if that's relevant.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was a sony disc... I think... can't remember now. Lot of people have problem with all kinds of sony products so maybe just poor quality or something.

·
SubZero is the Goal
1,562 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennylava
View Post

It was a sony disc... I think... can't remember now. Lot of people have problem with all kinds of sony products so maybe just poor quality or something.

whenever I burn a disk I burn at slowest setting, usualy overnight, or just before I head off to work, due to my house being a POS and shakes whenever anyone walks around on the other side of it.

I always use dvd+rw (whatever walmart has in stock at the time) and burn at x4 takes longer, but it ensures a good burn.
but I also have a handfull of 8g thumbdrives that I use, all set active and bootable.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah I made my 16Gb bootable, but I haven't made it so far as to try to actually boot anything from it. What exactly do you do, slap the ISO file on the bootable? Or is there something else?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts