Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 4.2%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The following are my current considerations. Let me know which one you think is best. Or if you spot a better deal let me know. Or maybe you have another suggestion then let me know.

1) 64GB Crucial C300 for $110 shipped with promo code HIBERNATE10 at Superbiiz.
2) 60GB Vertex 2 for $90 off an OCN member (opened, not used).
3) 120GB Corsair Force for $187 with promo code Celebrate10 and $20 at Newegg.

Of course my OS and apps will be going on the drive (i.e. Win 7, Adobe, Office being the largest).

This is all going into a new system I am building with the Intel 2500K, ASUS P8P67 Pro, and 1TB F3 Spinpoints for storage and games.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I'd go for option 3 if the pricing is fine with you. 120 GB ought to be more than enough to fit your OS and common apps and still have room to spare. 60 GB can get tight really quick. The C300 might be a little faster but the Corsair Force should still be a good upgrade over a mechanical drive.

·
Premium Member
3,634 Posts
Hi.

I'd definitely go with the Crucial C300 and for that price is a very good deal.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mott555
View Post

I'd go for option 3 if the pricing is fine with you. 120 GB ought to be more than enough to fit your OS and common apps and still have room to spare. 60 GB can get tight really quick. The C300 might be a little faster but the Corsair Force should still be a good upgrade over a mechanical drive.

True, but I am not sure how these two compare on speed. Such as SandForce controller

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RoddimusPrime
View Post

True, but I am not sure how these two compare on speed.

Are you using SATA 3 Gbps or SATA 6 Gbps? I think the performance between the two drives will be very close if you're only running 3 Gbps because the C300 uses the 6 Gbps and will be bottlenecked without it. On 6 Gbps the C300 should come out on top.

·
Premium Member
3,634 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Are you using SATA 3 Gbps or SATA 6 Gbps? I think the performance between the two drives will be very close if you're only running 3 Gbps because the C300 uses the 6 Gbps and will be bottlenecked without it. On 6 Gbps the C300 should come out on top.

Not really true.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

View Post

I just bought a 2500K with an ASUS P8P67 Pro and it has SATA 6GB.

Quote:

Originally Posted by saint19
View Post

Not really true.

Why is this not true?

@ The person with the RAID suggestion. That would be fairly hefty in cost and the performance difference is minimal on an SSD. In all practical situations it would be better to go with one drive unless you are doing RAID 1 for a backup feature.

·
Premium Member
3,634 Posts
Quote:

View Post

I just bought a 2500K with an ASUS P8P67 Pro and it has SATA 6GB.

Why is this not true?

@ The person with the RAID suggestion. That would be fairly hefty in cost and the performance difference is minimal on an SSD. In all practical situations it would be better to go with one drive unless you are doing RAID 1 for a backup feature.

Even on SATA 3Gb/s, the C300 is on the top, not with the same results that gets on SATA 6Gb/s, but above the the others SSD on read and 4K test. I tested my C300 on SATA 3Gb/s and SATA 6Gb/s and gives me very good results, and if you bought a new Sandy mobo that comes with SATA 6Gb/s is a very good option above the others.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint19
View Post

Even on SATA 3Gb/s, the C300 is on the top, not with the same results that gets on SATA 6Gb/s, but above the the others SSD on read and 4K test. I tested my C300 on SATA 3Gb/s and SATA 6Gb/s and gives me very good results, and if you bought a new Sandy mobo that comes with SATA 6Gb/s is a very good option above the others.

There are two 6.0GB SATA ports so I guess unless the Vertex 3 comes out next week the Crucial C300 is the best performer.

Have you seen any lower prices for the C300's at all?

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Quote:

View Post

There are two 6.0GB SATA ports so I guess unless the Vertex 3 comes out next week the Crucial C300 is the best performer.

I think the C400 and a new Sandforce controller are coming up fairly soon as well.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

View Post

I think the C400 and a new Sandforce controller are coming up fairly soon as well.

How soon are we talking? A month? Three months?

·
Premium Member
3,634 Posts
I had seen pretty similar prices, newegg has the 64GB 1G1 at ~$122.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt;11984099
Crucial C300 is SATA 6Gb/s, but i afraid Abit IP35 Pro doesnt have SATA III Support.
It is going into an ASUS P8P67 Pro with a 2500K. New Build. Please refer to my previous posts. Thanks.

·
lAptOp jUnKie
4,637 Posts
Your P67A mobo is SATA6G compatible. The only ssd you should be lookin' at is the C300 at this time OR wait a little longer for the newer 6G ssd's that are about to be released soon.

Here are a couple of Crucial C300 64gb reviews for your temptation
sneaky.gif

hexus.net review
bit-tech.net review

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBlahMan;11985084
Your P67A mobo is SATA6G compatible. The only ssd you should be lookin' at is the C300 at this time OR wait a little longer for the newer 6G ssd's that are about to be released soon.

Here are a couple of Crucial C300 64gb reviews for your temptation
sneaky.gif

hexus.net review
bit-tech.net review
Thank you very much kind sir. The C400 is supposed to be released this next month, but there is no solid date that I am aware of. If the prices were around the same I would wait for those. As it is I am considering getting the C300 to at least go in my wife's laptop. And maybe get the new C400 for my computer. And when the Vertex 3 comes out I will swap my drive out for it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts