• Asus Z87-A

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • ASRock Fatal1ty Z87 Killer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-D3H

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Something fancier, used? Plz, specify

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Something else in this price range (give or take)? Plz, specify.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, moving my 3930K and GPU under water, made it very cumbersome for me to maintain using it as a GPU testbed. It is possible, but "slow". Juggling around "live", super-tight hosing, disengaging Titans and having them hanging off the hose, is not that wise.

After waiting for MC Tustin to bring the 4770K in stock, I've got Staples to price match it...the heck with the bundle savings, $30 are $30, let them go! PSU and RAM (2x4GB Sammy green) is covered for, and for now I might be using my old 690 II as a test-bed with a 256 M4 as the boot drive.

I don't plan to overclock the 4770K a lot...4.5GHz would be more than enough, and for now cooling won't be anything better than a SilverArrow SB-E that got retired when I got the SB-E wet. All I wan't from O/Cing is removing potential CPU bottlenecks. I will probably fold on the thing when it is not benching, but don't know if it will be @ that high clocks (depends on the silicon lottery and voltages/temps too I guess).

I am after a decent board, that won't break the bank. Thought the Z87-A was good enough for what I want it to do, but the Z87 Killer does get very favorable reviews too.
Is there a preference between the two?
Is there something I am completely missing?

Thanks for your time.

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
D3H is the best out of what you've chosen. An other option is Z87 Extreme4, but D3H still has better VRM over it.

·
Premium Member
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand that, but VRM quality appears to be less important with Haswell, as much of the VRM regulation is happening inside the FCPGA of the CPU itself. I think the the 45x100 or so target will be more or less attainable with good air-cooling using either board.

My only worries with the Gigabyte is that it might require a bit more/different approach in tweaking with the BIOS as I am more familiar with ASUS boards - perhaps not as complicated as it is with s2011.

I do appreciate the better build quality and the color scheme in the Gigabyte product regardless.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
3,026 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcfoo View Post

I understand that, but VRM quality appears to be less important with Haswell, as much of the VRM regulation is happening inside the FCPGA of the CPU itself. I think the the 45x100 or so target will be more or less attainable with good air-cooling using either board.
VRM still matters. I don't know why people keep telling that. Insufficient VRM on step 1 DC to DC conversion before it hits CPU's 2nd DC to DC conversion has to be done properly. While Z87 A is ok, Z87 Killer is an example of a board that will get warm and inefficient because it's almost a copy of Z77 Extreme4.

There is no good reason to buy Z87 A either. MSI Z87-G45 Gaming is a better board with comparable VRM at the same price. Z87 A has no advantages over G45 or D3H, or even Extreme4.

·
Registered
46 Posts
MSI Z87-G45 Gaming, my buddy has one, loves the thing. Also im not sure if the GIGABYTE G1.Sniper Z5S has anything substantial to offer over the D3H, but IMO it looks nicer and is $144 at newegg.

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
Sniper has worse VRM than D3H. It's on the level with G45. Still enough though if you like it.

·
Premium Member
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is there a Mobo that would provide with tangible benefits going past the $130-140 range for my purpose?
I mean, $160 won't kill me, but in the same logic neither would $200. I want a basic tool that can do the job reliably, with virtually no e-peen involved.

I am really not interested about dozens of SATA or USB etc...the board will spend its life with me, probably with just a single SSD and a keyb/mouse hooked up on it.

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
All you want is very vague. All you said you want average OC which can be more than done with all boards listed in this thread (ignore Killer though).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts